ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Feb 1997 17:12:52 -0500
Here is my article about the appeal on USCHO, it comes from the release
Wayne posted and my own notes:

                        NCAA Denies Maine's Appeal
                           by Deron Treadwell

ORONO, Maine -- The National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) has
denied the University of Maine's appeal of postseason sanctions on the Black
Bears hockey program, the university announced Thursday Feb. 13

In a written statement, Maine President Frederick Hutchinson said that the
decision "brings to an end a very difficult period for the entire university
community." He said the decision "adds nothing new to what had previously
been said or known, except closure."

The NCAA applauded Maine for their cooperation with investigators, including
their self-report and how quickly they corrected and cleaned up their
compliance system.

In contrast, the Appeals Committee also said that the conduct of head ice
hockey coach Shawn Walsh offset the good work done by the university and
directly led to the decision to uphold the penalties the NCAA handed down to
Maine on July 31.

Hutchinson expressed disappointment that "there was no indication, given
that (July) report that the addition of penalties by the NCAA was related to
Shawn."

"Had that position been part of the committee's official report in July, it
likely would have influenced our decision to appeal the post-season ban (for
1996-97)."

In December of 1995, the University of Maine suspended Shawn Walsh for one
year without pay for his role in NCAA violations and removed themselves from
consideration from the 1995-96 NCAA Tournament.

On July 31, the NCAA added to the penalties by imposing a postseason ban on
the hockey team for the 1996-97 season, and also stated that the one-year
suspension of Walsh was sufficient for his part in the rules violations. The
NCAA also added to scholarship reductions Maine imposed on themselves in
December of 1995.

Walsh was not available for comment, but in a written statement Walsh said
that he was relieved it is over, but noted that "at no time did I feel would
win the appeal."

Walsh said that as far as he's concerned his team's playoffs begin Friday
night with a pair of games at UMass-Amherst.

Maine Director of Athletics and Recreation Suzanne Tyler said she
"respectfully disagrees" with the NCAA's decision, but doesn't regret any
decisions.

"Looking at the evidence, I still think we made the right decision," Tyler
told WZON radio. "I really thought we were right and that right would win.
We are just moving ahead."

Maine has six games remaining in their season starting with two at UMass
this weekend, and then Maine returns home to close out their 1996-97
campaign with games against #3 University of New Hampshire on Feb. 18, two
games against #4
Boston University on Feb. 21 and 22, and one game against UMass on March 1.

Tyler said late last year that Hockey East had passed a rule this summer
that said if a member school was ineligible for the NCAA Tournament, they
would also be ineligible for the Hockey East Tournament.
---
Deron Treadwell ([log in to unmask])