ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Jacob Metzler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Feb 2001 19:13:11 -0500
First off if you want more info on the New UND rink they have a website
on off their page I think that I found quite interesting and
fact-filled (checking it out last fall when the Sioux came to town).

2nd of all, I think getting a 'new Alfond' will be like getting a new
Fenway....tough proposition, its going to take a lot of money and a
location.  I think its needed, just look at the recruiting trends that
we are faced with, less and less blue-chippers, and more and more
teams(the Lowells of the world) with new arenas and are going to be
able to draw more and more recruits away from 'traditional' powers.  I
mean what are the draws to maine right now? great crowd? As we saw
Saturday despite's Shawn's best efforts we really couldn't maintain the
level of past crowds.  Arena? no the facilities are highly taxed with
high school hockey and UMaine hoops there.  Tradition? Tradition
doesn't win championships, it sounds good on paper but it may not do
the trick.

I think its obvious that Maine needs a new arena.  The basketball
situation is lousy, and the hockey situation isn't so hot either, we
need more seats, that's the name of the game.  A better facility would
be great,  more lockerrooms are needed for all teams, men's and women's
hoops, and women's hockey, etc.

The best fix I can see is a new hockey arena and remodeling the Alfond
for basketball only, bring the fans closer to the court.  Right now
it's awful.

Even if this process started now, at the rate this University puts
buildings up it probably wouldn't be until 2006 before anything was
built.  That's a long way off.  Not to mention the time needed to raise
the money to build the place.

Maine teams and their fans are suffering.  hopefully something will be
done soon or is in the works.

-Jake