ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Jan 2001 11:02:09 -0800
--- "Wayne T. Smith" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Such high standards!  :-) Maine is very good this year.  Getting an NCAA
> bid without the HEA Tournament Championship may be a stretch, but is a
> real possibility with BC and UNH games super-critical and every game
> important from here on in.

Yes, it is a real possibility still.

You are right, I think there are many people out there like myself who do
have high standards.  We went through this same thing in the mid-90s too
when standards may have been too high.  It isn't fair to the players, I
think we all recognize that.

But the bottom line is the bar is set higher when you play at Maine (or
BU, or Michigan, or North Dakota, etc.) than if you play for Merrimack or
Lowell (for example).  Maine does have a very good team, but right now
it's not a great team.  Next year, I think they will be a great team.

> Only after Matt Yeats saved the game, IMHO, when immediately after
> Maine's second goal, BU put on terrific pressure and maybe should have
> scored at least one goal.

Yeats has played great after a slow start this season, but it was big for
him to be able to close the door when we let down a little.

Saturday was much improved over Friday.  On Friday, when we took the lead
3-1 Maine stopped playing the game that got them the lead and just let BU
come at them.  There were improvements on Saturday, albeit they didn't
have to hold the lead as long either.

> Among the best players on the ice;  certainly one of my favorites!  I
> thought Peter Metcalf was much improved.  On the other hand, Don
> Richardson wasn't the factor he was in the Blue-White game and, unless
> I'm mistaken, didn't play much at critical junctures.

I was not overly impressed with Richardson Friday, and Blair Marsh has
said on the radio on several occasions that he isn't sure why Richardson
was "talked up" so much.  Maybe too many expectations lumped on him?
Being compared to Cal Ingraham before you play a game at Maine is tough.

> With very few exceptions, I think we're quite blessed to have a
> hard-working team.

BU forward Carl Corrazini called Maine the hardest working team, before
the series.  We do work hard, and with some guys who can finish up front
or if some guys get hot, Maine can still go far.

> Look what the Baltimore Ravens have done with defense!

Defense wins in the postseason, no doubt!

> Get a grip!  :-)    I was so amazed that NO ONE left while it was close.

I don't know which game you were watching, but there were many people (as
there always is) getting up and leaving both nights.

Wayne tells me to get a grip because I've complained about this for years,
but it's just a pet peeve.  We've discussed the many reasons people leave
early before, so I won't push it again.. thanks to those who stayed!

> I'm a fan of promotions!  However, to me it was more important that
> pom-poms were given out and $10 sweaters made available.  As an usher,
> many people asked about them, so many people think they're important.

They were great!  Too bad there could not have been more of the sweaters.
The pom-poms didn't seem to get much use, I remember past years them being
more impressive.

I'm glad to hear your son enjoyed things, that was a nice story, thanks
Wayne!  :-)

-dt