ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Date:
Thu, 15 Feb 2001 08:28:22 -0500

>>- Lucas Lawson has some jets.  ...
>
>What a great player to watch!

I agree with that, after starting off hot he has cooled off but he never
stopped working hard. The kid can fly and Sat. night showed he can finish.
That was a phenomenal shot, right in the roof. Watching it from my vantage
point it was hard to see but when I got home and saw on TV I was very
impressed.

>>- I spoke of the "young" nature of Maine above.. I thought Saturday night
>>we saw Maine start to learn some of the important lessons.  After blowing
>>a 3-1 lead on Friday, Maine was able to close the deal Saturday after
>>taking the 2-1 lead in the third period.
>
>Only after Matt Yeats saved the game, IMHO, when immediately after
>Maine's second goal, BU put on terrific pressure and maybe should have
>scored at least one goal.

 Did you see Matt point to his blocker and then toward the ceiling after a
point blank shot from right in front of the crease.Dyment had a wide open
net but Matt managed to get his blocker on it.Dyment slammed his stick on
the ice in frustration. A little dig toward Dyment. I laughed after I wiped
my brow.:)

>On several occasions this season announcers and others have commented
>that Maine has looked "tired" at times, often near the ends of period 2
>or 3. Too much partying or not true?
>
>>- Maine's defense continued to play strong.  I was very impressed with the
>>play of Francis Nault.
>
>Among the best players on the ice;  certainly one of my favorites!  I
>thought Peter Metcalf was much improved.  On the other hand, Don
>Richardson wasn't the factor he was in the Blue-White game and, unless
>I'm mistaken, didn't play much at critical junctures.

 I don't believe Don was suited for Sat. game. He was easily pushed off the
puck Friday night. My guess is Shawn gave him a wake up call.  Nault has
impressed most all fans. He is a young Metcalf IMHO. Peter was his usual
self, He was deep in the offensive zone all game. A true leader.

>>- Simply put Maine had to win Saturday and they did.  ...
>
>With very few exceptions, I think we're quite blessed to have a
>hard-working team.

 A big difference in Sat. game was Maine continued to push right till the
end. Janik and Metcalf were still going deep in the Offensive zone late in
the 3rd period.

>I managed to record the wrong TV channel Saturday night and caught the
>St.  Lawrence at RPI game.  What a contrast with a Maine game!  Frequent
>defensive breakdowns, average-to-weak goal-tending ...  it was easy to
>see why that game was 6-4 and Maine's are maybe half that.
>
>>- I agree with Shawn Walsh that no one will want to play Maine ...

 I think no one will want to play Maine because of Shawn. He has shown the
ability to get the team pointed in the right direction for big games.IMHO
he is a master of getting the most out of his players abilities and then
melding them into a game plan.

 I wasn't to confident that Maine would win Sat. night. I thought that
after such a disappointing tie friday night that mentally Maine would
suffer. Scoring the first goal helped that I believe. It seems this team
can play good hockey if they  work hard. A week off should help some
nagging injuries and also allow Shawn to make some adjustments before the
team travels to BC. I doubt the team will have a hard time getting up to
play BC. Should be a better Maine team with  Metcalf and Heisten in the
lineup. Anyone heard any news about Donovan, I believe his  fiery attitude
helps the team .

                  Jon