ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
"Wayne T. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Jan 2001 01:54:56 EST
>I'm very proud of the Maine team after taking 3 of 4 points from BU over

Certainly Maine outplayed BU in many respects and BU's Parker was "very,
very" happy with the Friday tie.

>While not "writing off" this year, I look forward to next season when I
>think Maine will be very good.

Such high standards!  :-) Maine is very good this year.  Getting an NCAA
bid without the HEA Tournament Championship may be a stretch, but is a
real possibility with BC and UNH games super-critical and every game
important from here on in.

>- Lucas Lawson has some jets.  ...

What a great player to watch!

>- I spoke of the "young" nature of Maine above.. I thought Saturday night
>we saw Maine start to learn some of the important lessons.  After blowing
>a 3-1 lead on Friday, Maine was able to close the deal Saturday after
>taking the 2-1 lead in the third period.

Only after Matt Yeats saved the game, IMHO, when immediately after
Maine's second goal, BU put on terrific pressure and maybe should have
scored at least one goal.

On several occasions this season announcers and others have commented
that Maine has looked "tired" at times, often near the ends of period 2
or 3. Too much partying or not true?

>- Maine's defense continued to play strong.  I was very impressed with the
>play of Francis Nault.

Among the best players on the ice;  certainly one of my favorites!  I
thought Peter Metcalf was much improved.  On the other hand, Don
Richardson wasn't the factor he was in the Blue-White game and, unless
I'm mistaken, didn't play much at critical junctures.

>- Simply put Maine had to win Saturday and they did.  ...

With very few exceptions, I think we're quite blessed to have a
hard-working team.

I managed to record the wrong TV channel Saturday night and caught the
St.  Lawrence at RPI game.  What a contrast with a Maine game!  Frequent
defensive breakdowns, average-to-weak goal-tending ...  it was easy to
see why that game was 6-4 and Maine's are maybe half that.

>- I agree with Shawn Walsh that no one will want to play Maine ...

Look what the Baltimore Ravens have done with defense!

>- I continue to be disappointed in some of our fans.  It is amazing to me
>that on both nights (both one goal games at the time) that once the 50-50
>drawing was held people get up and leave.  Not only is it a close game,
>but it's against BU!  But this happens all the time against everyone.

Get a grip!  :-)    I was so amazed that NO ONE left while it was close.

Kudos to the band that showed up even though school's on extended break.
Very impressive!  Good student turnout also.  Congrats to the ticket
office for apparently getting everyone in the building;  it must have
been difficult to gauge student turnout.

>- Finally... Maine athletic department needs to make a decision.  Either
>do a better job promoting and encouraging your Wear White games/weekends,
>or discontinue this.  This has been done for what, 3 or 4 straight years
>and each year it's hardly been a "white-out" so-to-speak.  I thought this
>year was especially disappointing because even with the $10 sweaters, and
>pom-poms, the arena only had a dusting instead of a blizzard.  I think a
>better job can be done promoting this, or offering something to those who
>enter the arena in white... or maybe its time to try a different promotion
>next year.  IMHO, it's been a disappointment every year to this point.

I'm a fan of promotions!  However, to me it was more important that
pom-poms were given out and $10 sweaters made available.  As an usher,
many people asked about them, so many people think they're important.

The only "better" things that might be done would be (1) to have a
volunteer offer them to fans as they enter the area (volunteers are in
short supply!), (2) start selling the sweaters at earlier games and (3)
have *really* warm weather ...  how many people have a white winter
coat?   :-)

This may seem crazy, but "White Nite" had a large part in the excitement
of the crowd, IMHO.  Certainly I saw the end of Saturday night's game
ONLY BECAUSE of "White night" (and some helpful friends, including Tim,
Penny and Earle).  You see, I didn't usher Saturday but actually used my
tickets to bring my 6-year old.  Now Ben loves to go to Maine hockey
games and loves all that crappy expensive "food", but he has never seen
a 3rd period.  Since he and I made it in time to see the teams come on
the ice for their initial warmups, I fully expected to watch the last
half of the game on TV (it's a 30 minute trip home).  But between the
band, students cheering, getting used to the height of the balcony,
*and* showing off his new white gloves (thanks, Penny!) *and* waving his
"shaker" (pom-pom), he left after the final horn and with a smile on his
face and stories to tell.

cheers, wayne