ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Date:
Tue, 11 Jan 2000 15:30:04 -0500
>Personally, I have a problem with the whole rule change anyway.  I
>understand it's intent (to stop players from diving), but to pull someone
>off the ice for 10 minutes for diving seems to me to be too severe a
>penalty for (in essence) the crime.

well you get a powerplay for an offense against  your team... a misconduct
is meant to penalize a player not his team.. the dive is simply
unsportsmanlike, with no insult to the other team... you take a scoring
opportunity away from a team, or injure one of its players, then that team
gets its scoring opportunity back in the form of a powerplay...
.......Was it any coincidence that when Hesiten came back Maine really
>put on an assault?  It was a tough call.

welll did barrett dive???
that was my question???

>On every play you have clutching and grabbing in college hockey and there
>are dangerous hits from behind.  When was the last time you saw a 5-minute
>major or a misconduct for a hit from behind?

Niko got the last one I remember, at Northeastern last year
pretty wimpy hit from behind as well... but i am with you ... I would like
to see all hits from behind penalized wtih a maror, or a match penalty

But how many times have we
>seen this diving misconduct, just halfway through this year?  I think the
>NCAA is wrong and are focusing on the wrong types of play to punish the
>players (severely) for.  I'd much rather see everyone diving and NO hits
>from behind and boarding.
>
>~Deron
I like it, because I dislike the alternative... the alternative is when they
never called hooking because they could never tell who was diving and who
was legitamately hooked....

jim