ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Cathy Hart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Nov 1999 06:57:07 EST
Dan -

Columbia is the light blue.  But, even the dark blue's actual shade & hue
were chewed over by this committee for a relatively long time.  Maybe most
folks won't even notice the difference.  As far as the corporate logos, could
be that was a factor, but I don't know.  I hope not.  Sponsors change.  Maine
fans are here to stay.

I dunno if it can be dignified by the term controversy, but I have heard a
lot of grumbling over the standardization of logo and color since the U
decided to address this issue.  IMHO they are yet again trying to fix what
ain't broke.  The changes try to force the fans into certain set images,
which is contrary to the individualistic nature of Maine people, ie. I
believe Baseball can no longer use their gothic "M", which, I was told, has
been identified with UMaine baseball for years.  If I had an image which I
identified with "my" sport and the U flat out told me it could no longer be
used, and I would have to use the image from another sport, I'd be outraged
(BIG surprise, right?).  So far the color is the only thing I know they have
restricted for "Men's Ice Hockey", but the cavalier attitude makes me worry
about what's on the horizon that we don't know yet.  I think Susan Reardon
has a good heart, but I hope she proceeds carefully.  I was gladdened to hear
that the plan to replace the big "M" on the field house with "Welcome to
Black Bear Country" was shelved.  I hope that one never is raised again!

Big revelation - I acutely dislike the "new" Maine Bear.  Being an old
Mainah, I have seen a lot of black bears, and the only one I have ever seen
with that much grey was so old he creaked.  The design is flat.  I am tired
of a bear with teddy ears, dog's eyes, and cat shape face.  Not to mention
the teeth....  With all the talent in the UMaine Art Department, including
our own Dan Kerluke, not to mention UMaine fan and employee Cindy Thomas
(wife of Bob) couldn't they find a design that actually looks like a Black
Bear?  A design which reflects the individual nature of the UMaine Black
Bears, without stealing so many of it's components from other schools?  We
are capable of so much better work than this...

Cathy Hart