ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Cathy Hart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Feb 1999 08:40:17 EST
I find comparison of the two campus's handling of these types of incidences
very interesting.  (And if Coach Walsh admitted to knowledge of and no
apparent action taken on these kinds of things, he would be crucified and
vilified across the media.)  As a member of the Public Relations Committiee of
the BlacK Bear Board of Advisors, I know Maine Hockey and the Athletic
Department take these things very seriously, as they should.  However,
something can be learned from the UNH mess, in handling any incidences in a
manner less detrimental to the accused, and as yet un-convicted, student
athlete, plus control of who talks to the media, when they talk and what they
say. I apologize to the fine folks who participate in this forum and are
newsfolks themselves, but too much unsubstantiated and misinformation was
given out by any Tom, Dianne & Harry who worked for or participated in
Athletics during the NCAA situation here, which became, through repetition,
public truth, even though it was not actual fact, for me to NOT believe that a
comprehensive plan needs to be in place for handling these kinds of things in
a considered manner.  I am not talking censorship or advocating less than full
disclosure.  Rather I am saying the campus should be prepared for these kinds
of incidences, as they ARE gonna happen, in a way that protects the student's
rights as well as creates an atmosphere which discourages these things in the
first place.  UMaine has begun this process and has made good progress, but
still has a way to go, IMHO.  UNH, from the facts reported so far, has not.
Let's hope they start to look out for their student athletes with a much
broader vision than reactionary damage control.

Cathy Hart
Proud Volunteer for the Finest College Hockey Program in the Nation!