ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Bob Woodbury <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Feb 1999 22:18:35 -0500
This was posted to HOCKEY-L, but looks like it was meant for ME-HOCKEY.
 Message by woody@mint.net..

---
If I my express a personal opinion:
If I wanted a newspaper to cover a weekend series to get some
well-deserved
publicity for my team, knowing coverage during the year would be
limited, I
certainly wouldn't push for them to cover a weekend series against a
team
that had been outscored 206-6 or something, and was winless, even if it
was
"an in-state rival." Somehow, the scores of the two games don't indicate
much of a rivalry. If I had covered those games, I sure wouldn't want
to go
back any time soon.
Newspapers don't cover games, regardless of sport or gender, equilly.
They
cover based on fan interest. Look at Maine women's hoops attendence
before,
during and after Cindy. Compare even today's figures to women's hockey,
new varsity program with very limited fan base so far. It'll get bigger,
and better. I'm impressed with this coach, as I was with Shawn, early.
There will be better coverage in the future.
Until it does, you'll get more attention from the media with honey than
vinegar. Pick games that will be competative, but winnable, then court
the
BDN, and TV,  over a period of time for coverage of that series.