Date:
Mon, 21 Jan 2008 22:45:51 EST
One of the advantages of being 75 is that my memory does go back a long  way.
Unfortunately, I often forget where I left it. I do know that I was playing
high school hockey 1947-1950 in the Boston area and was a goaltender. I recall
a  number of games where a kitchen strainer was thrown on the ice (probably
an  indication of my play). Back then strainers were a common kitchen
implement.and  were readily available.

One of my classmates was caught throwing a strainer (now called a sieve) on
the ice and was severely reprimanded. The practice stopped but it seems that a
 derisive cheer of "leaky" or "leaker" came into vogue but only when the
opposing  goaltender let an easy shot leak in.

I know that it is anecdotal, but it isn't much of a jump to go from "leaky
to "leaking like a sieve" to "sieve."

Maybe "sieve" or its roots goes back a long, long way.

Bob Saunders
Northeastern Staff