ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
From:
Spiros Polemis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Apr 2001 07:32:37 -0400
On a recent trip to Florida, we saw the last reg. season game at the
TECO arena (anyone know what the letters stand for?) near Ft. Myers,
between the local Everblades, vs the visiting Tallahassee Tiger Sharks.

Ben Guite played center for the 1sr or 2nd line (hard to tell). He
played well, but the whole team was in a funk having just been penalized
by the league 15 points in the standings due to salary cap violations.
They had been the 2nd place team in their division, and were now out of
the playoffs.

Their captain and coach got the boot for complaining about a ref's bad
call. These refs were indeed terrible -- much worse than any HEA refs.

During warm-ups we banged on the glass and got Ben's attention, he saw
our Maine hats, smiled, and kept on skating. It was not a joyful game
for him or his club, which may be folding due to lack of attendance.

Ben, and one former Merrimack Col. player on the Everblades were the
only HEA players on either team. Vast majority were from Canadian
juniors.

In my opinion, based on his play that evening, Ben will continue to play
pro hockey somewhere else. On the season, he is one of the least
penalized players on either team -- sign of a skilled payer in pro
hockey.

Spiros