Sender:
Date:
Sat, 3 Mar 2001 17:51:29 EST
7bit
Comments:
Sean:

As a long time D1 goalie coach, I have some misgivings about trying to equate
the past and the present. When I was a young player in the '40s, many coaches
did not let their defensemen cross center ice. Also, isn't this the time
frame (late 20's) when the extra position of "Rover" was in effect? It also
bridges the span that causes some center ice lines to be still checkered.
There was no checking over the center line and then later none was allowed in
the offensive zone and finally it was eliminated.

Different times, differing formats all add up to knowing that whatever the
records are, they are what they were at the time of creation. An Olympic gold
from 1932 is no less valuable because the same measurements today wouldn't
have been sufficient to make the tryouts or in some cases, a high  school
track team.

Wouldn't a footnote suffice?

I feel the same way about my boyhood hero Ted Williams 1941 batting average
of .406 -- If some one comes along today and bats .407 do we equate them by
either deducting Ted's sacrifice flies or charging the current hero with a
time at bat for each such hit. My understanding is that using today's rules,
Ted's batting average would calculate to .411.

Most tables of records often contain footnotes.

I suggest letting them stand as they are because they can't be equated. I do
admire your work though.

Bob Saunders
NU Staff