ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
From:
Lindsay A Huntoon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Feb 1998 08:03:20 -0500
Thought I'd pass this along; I think Kariya will do everything he can to
represent his country in Nagano.

>STATUS OF DUCKS' KARIYA REMAINS IN DOUBT AFTER CONCUSSION
>
>The status of superstar left wing Paul Kariya of the Mighty Ducks
>of Anaheim remained in doubt Thursday after a concussion suffered
>via a hit by Chicago's Gary Suter on Sunday kept him out of
>Wednesday night's game. Kariya, who held out for the first 32
>games this season before signing a two-year contract worth $14
>million, has wasted no time returning to the form that makes him
>one of the NHL's best players. In 22 games this season, he has 17
>goals and 14 assists, but the most recent goal cost him dearly.
>After scoring in Sunday's win over Chicago, Kariya sustained a
>cross-check to the side of the head by Suter, who was suspended
>four games for the hit, which went without a penalty in the game.
>The 23-year-old Kariya says he has already sustained four
>concussions in his young career. Continuing symptoms of the
>concussion have kept him from practice since the hit, and leave
>his status uncertain for Saturday's game against the Los Angeles
>Kings and, possibly, next week's Winter Olympics in Nagano,
>Japan, where he will represent Canada.

On another matter, I think we should adopt Dan Doucette's suggestion for
the name of the new BU arena (the Jack Parker "Whineatorium").  Does this
mean that the ushers will pass out Kleenex to all incoming fans.

Lindsay A Huntoon