ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
Date:
Sat, 3 Dec 2005 03:07:02 -0500
7bit
From:
Wayne T Smith <[log in to unmask]>
I think you're all fanatical!  ;-)

Funny how we tend to forget all the games Walsh gave away in his early
years by suspect bench coaching, all the players that hated his guts
(most of whom would come back in later years), all the fans that
detested his histrionics, the years where we thought we had the best
players and lost, and games blown by poor defense (remember being ahead
of BU in the Alfond by a handful of goals, only to lose?).

Walk through the new Shawn Walsh Center and see the photos of all the
great Maine All-Stars and All-Americans, Hobey Baker nominees and
winners, and NHL players.  How many of last year's players received
national recognition and how many of this year's players are at that top
echelon?

I'm of the fanatical opinion that Tim Whitehead has done a remarkable
job getting good players to work hard most or all nights.  I sure wish
we could pass and shoot better, but college hockey defenses in recent
years are far superior to those of most teams in the Walsh era, IMHO.

I look at Whitehead Maine years and see teams that have exceeded my
expectations in terms of wins and losses and in terms of getting the
best out of the team.  This year started out amazingly well, but now has
perhaps insurmountable challenges.  We have solid seniors and 2/3 of the
season to go, so I remain optimistic for a very good season, despite the
1-5 recent record.

cheers, wayne