ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Dec 2005 22:48:11 -0500
I don't dispute your numbers, but let's not forget Walsh built the program
from scratch and thus endured the lean years and Whitehead was handed a
ready-made championship-caliber program.  (Two national titles say hello)

Does your 64% number include forfeits?  Because if it does, Walsh's on ice
record would likely be better than 68%.

I don't have first hand knowledge of Whitehead and how he coaches.  I just
know that Walsh would not have accepted what (seemingly) Whitehead and even
us as fans have come to kind of accept and that is an inconsistent effort by
teams that don't always play smart and are often (again, seemingly) not
emtionally/mentally ready to play.

There is a line in the movie "Out of the Woods" (for those newbies.. a
documentary on the 1993 National Championship season) where Maine is going
to Providence (ironically) after having previously destroyed them one night
and tied them the next night.  Players are being kinda loose and carefree on
the bus and Walsh gets on the mic and says something to the effect of:  "Two
weeks ago we tied these guys.  The University of Maine does not accept ties
just as it does not accept losses."

I think we (as fans and as a program) have started to lose that edge and the
attitude that goes with it and I don't like it.

-Deron