ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
Date:
Mon, 28 Nov 2005 10:57:45 -0500
7bit
From:
Wayne T Smith <[log in to unmask]>
(as I reread this, I see it's way too far on the "doom and gloom" side.
  During the holiday I replayed the 1993 and 1999 title games.  Maybe I
miss the offensive part of the game that has taken a back seat in recent
years? .. wts)

Deron wrote:
> I see that Maine fell to Vermont 2-1 today.  Tough loss by the way the
> press release reads.  Can we get some comments from those who were there?

A few remarks, but by no means expert commentary ...

* Vermont has very good size, some good speed and plays a tough, mostly
disciplined game.  A very likable team!

* Maine suffered by missing their suspended players.

* Maine suffered from playing the Under-18 USA team ... a team with good
talent, but lacking size and strength ... as Vermont seemed the stronger
team with more stamina.

* Whereas early season games seemed to have Maine playing nearly 60
minutes of high-power hockey, the last several games has been marked
with highest level play only on occasion.

* Don't get me wrong ... this was an entertaining game with lots of
defense from two good teams.

* It took the first intermission to successfully adjust to the Vermont
fore check ... from trying to pass the puck out to lugging it out.  Why
does it take an intermission to make such adjustments?

* Half-way through the game, there was no score, but it felt like
Vermont had the better chances, only to flub a few passes themselves.

* Maine had a number of chances to score, with many of them on their
new-found scheme of a player in front tipping a shot intentionally
initiated to the far side and wide.  However, Maine forwards were bumped
and jostled and held enough to not succeed in this game.

* Maine had more shots on goal, but Russell was ready and gave up few
rebounds ... while playing deep in the crease.

* Maine's usually good power play seemed reduced to having Damon shoot
from the goal line extended ... again and again.

* Damon to the first-line with Moore and Leveille was an offensive
disaster  ... I really don't understand why it was tried.

* The Hopson line continued to excel, with many very good shifts and
scoring chances ... the best line on the ice!

* Maine looked like it had a game plan for a different team.  They and
the fans seemed frustrated or disappointed many times.  Sign of a good
opponent, I suppose.

* There was a great community turnout to a(nother dreaded by this
commentator) Sunday afternoon of hockey at the Alfond, with all
restricted-view seats apparently sold.  However, UMaine students were on
break, leaving half of the balcony seating empty.

* Referee Gravellese (maybe if he had his name on his back I could spell
it properly?) called his usual competent game, however, I'd love to know
why Soares got a charging penalty with about 4 minutes left in the first
period.  He did leave his feet, but he appeared to try to *miss* the
Vermont player to avoid a possible boarding.  And he did appear to miss
the Vermont player!  Very strange.  Anyone see what really happened?  It
appeared to me that Gravellese saw Soares coming hard at the Vermont
player and then was screened from the actual non-collision.  Where's
Channel 5 when you need them ;-)

* Way aside from this game ...

* I love chatting during the games with the folks around me, all more
knowledgeable, as we often see different aspects of this complex game of
hockey ... and then watching a TV replay with the new perspective ...
while hearing what really happened from Joe Carr, spiced with Mike
Tuell's experience and wit.

* I hear from some UMaine alumni that the press blew "the fight" and
suspensions all out of proportion.  I'm coming to believe quite the
opposite.  Maybe this would have been "nothing" without charges having
been filed, but they were filed.  I hope that once the legal and school
disciplinary actions are complete, the team and community can be treated
to a full dose of the truth and commitment to team success, even if our
notion of commitment and success may have to be scaled back a bit.  (I
don't subscribe to the notion that law or the legal system is the truth,
or more just or moral than other recounts.  It is important, but not
necessarily the truth).

Go blue!

cheers, wayne