ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
From:
"D. B. Doucette" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Feb 2005 08:31:24 -0500
Caught most of the ESPN Classic replay last night of the US/USSR Olympic
game from 1980, Lake Placid.

What impressed me in retrospect (and with much more hockey knowledge today
than I had then) was that US seemed at most times a half step ahead of the
USSR squad to the puck and that goalie Jim Craig had unimpeded views of
pretty much all the shots on him.   Really drive home the conditioning and
ice management coaching themes that came through so strongly in the
portrayal of Herb Brooks in the recent movie, to see it actually being
played out in real life (on tape, and not the full 60 minutes oh well).

Hope that Coach Whitehead made the UMaine team watch either that replay
show, or the movie "Miracle", in advance of this weekend's "win, win and get
in" series against Mass-Lowell.

"Play your game"