ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
From:
Dan Doucette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Nov 2000 14:18:33 -0500
from the media today, which I could see on a day off from work:

Salem (MA) Evening News reports on new recruits for 2001-02 season
in the Bill Kipouras column:

  UMaine's Sean Walsh has the letter-of-intent signed
  in Orono and can finally talk about one of his favorite
  recruiting subjects, 6-foot-4 defenseman Paul Lynch,
  who was the Black Bears' No. 1 priority among
  defensemen, that's US and Canada included. Lynch,
  who starred at Brooks School, and now attends
  North Andover High while performing for the Junior
  A Valley Warriors, verbally committed in early
  summer.

  "Paul is a great skating tall guy that we think has a
  chance to play right away," Walsh said. "He has a
  terrific upside. I would call him a national level recruit.
  He has a lot of mobility for a big man and I like his
  presence on the ice. He's also very, very competitive.
  It's easier to hold someone like him back than it is to
  try and make someone competitive who doesn't have
  that."

  Walsh thinks Lynch fits the mold of some of the top
  defenseman he's had in Orono, like Eric Weinrich
  (now an NHLer) and Matt Martin, an Olympian.
  Lynch reminds the coach a lot of Martin because of
  their similar great mobility, and commitment to the
  game.

  Walsh also said Maine signed forward Ben Murphy
  of North Andover and Cushing Academy.

  "As for Lynch, we wanted a style of player (like
  him)," Walsh said. "Paul jumped out at us and he was
  the first defenseman we offered a scholarship. We're
  really tickled to have him, very excited. It's my
  thinking that next year's team should be better than
  this year and one of the keys behind that statement is
  going to be Paul."

What is interesting beyond the news is Coach's comment
that "next year's team should be better".  Where ?  How ?
What needed improvement ?

ALSO:

Boston Globe this morning reports that Fox Sports NE will interview
Coach on its 6:30 and 11:00 local update shows.

Lindsay and I will be driving to New Jersey for the weekend so will
tape this show and miss the Merrimack game.
Dan Doucette

U Maine Hockey wins it all in odd-numbered years !!