ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
From:
Cathy Hart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Mar 2000 14:47:15 EST
Okay, enough already.  Sure it's a given for anybody on this list that the
goalie has to play well.  I mean, really - DUH!!  State the obvious a few
more times?

However, goalie's masks, like the kind of ties the boys wear to the post game
receptions, can make a statement about them, their personalities and
motivations, their inner selves (something I am very interested in, being an
artist of sorts).  At least that's been true for the goalies I have talked to
about their chosen designs.  I know Garth was very proud and happy when his
mask was finally painted, and fed me a long line of reasons why he had chosen
the design he had.  Discussing it comes from the same nosy impulse which
makes us read the articles on what the guys do before games to get themselves
pumped up, even though the little rats never give a straight answer!  If we
all want to speculate on what Matt's lack of ornamentation says about him, or
the program's committment to him, why the heck not?  Besides, I understand
he's getting a hoot out of it!  It also embroiders the subject of hockey with
more than just stats or speculation about play, or rules.

We can all enjoy Matt's fine play, and along with that, be curious about
details like his mask.  If you don't like it, use your God given right to
delete, for crissakes.  And start another, more interesting topic!

GO MAINE!

Cathy Hart