ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Feb 2000 08:00:26 PST
Well, I'll throw my hat into this discussion.

I understand all points involved and I guess I fall more in the middle.  Leaving a Maine game early does not automatically brand you as a "bad" fan because there are a lot more things that go into being a good fan.  Some season ticket holders leave early or don't come to games, but they support the program financially.  In these times it is easy to just look at support in the stands, but the purse strings are tight at Maine so each dollar helps.

That said, two Fridays ago when Maine was trailing BC 3-2 with +/- 5 minutes to go (immediately following the 50-50) I roughly estimate 1,000 people got up and left.  (BTW, I ran this number past my fiance who was at the game with me and she felt it was a good, rough estimate).  The reason it caught my attention in an otherwise captivating game was the shear number of people leaving.

Here we have two of the nation's best, the defending national champions against the defending league champions.  Two final four teams... in a one-goal game with 5 minutes left.  People may have very good reasons for leaving (all 1,000 or so) as Wayne says, but that doesn't mean that I can't look at the situation and be disappointed at what I saw.

I was amazed and still am.  I could understand people leaving the next night since it was 3-0 BC by that point.  Like Lindsay, I too stay to the bitter end, except I actually watched BU carry the trophy around Providence.

But, we talk about player perceptions on this list sometimes and about how the players feel.  How do you think it makes them feel to see a bunch of people leave right after the 50-50 in crunch-time of a one-goal game?

Having never been out there on the ice myself, I'll leave you to your own judgments.  My bet is that it certainly isn't a positive feeling.

When people purchase a ticket, it is their right to use that ticket as they see fit.  If they want to stay for one period and leave, that is their choice and their right.  That part I agree with most of you on, and I would never try to take away that.

But, I feel it is a sad commentary when 1,000 people leave a one-goal hockey game with two great teams on the ice and Maine down.  That's my right.

~Deron