ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
Date:
Tue, 19 Jan 1999 16:15:41 -0500
8bit
From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
William Stewart writes:
>Personally, the style that UMass implores is as boring as it can get.
>However, Joe Mallen isn't paid to excite anybody, but rather to win.
>And UMass doesn't have the speed nor the weapons to keep up with the
>BC's, UNH's and Maine's of the leagues thus resulting in the gameplan
>it must play.

Geez, Joe must not get paid very much then.  :-)  Sorry, couldn't
resist.  This is a viable topic however and that is Joe Mallen's future
with UMass.  With arguably one of the best facilities in the country
and the ability to go after Massachusetts athletes, the simple fact
that Joe Mallen's Minutemen are still an 8th or a 9th-place team every
year could mean that UMass needs to make a change and get rid of Mallen.

>       As for Alfie, hey, the kid is putting up All   American numbers and
>that isn't bad for a goalie who, up until now, doesn't really turn it
>on until after Christmas. Thing is, Mathy, how far Maine goes in the
>postseason, in part, will coincide with how well Alfie does when
>challenged.
>       Because, let's face it, Alfie will get tested in the postseason and
>how he responds to it   and ultimately performs    will play a big
>factor in how long Maine will be playing hockey this year.  To date,
>Alfie has responded more times than not when challenged. His
>performance against BC that Friday night was perhaps the best game I've
>ever seen him play.

Unfortunately Alfie could not follow it up the next night, but in his
defense there wasn't much he could do about Gionta on that night.

Alfie has proven he can play well with pressure.  Maine swept UNH last
year AT UNH in large part because of Alfie Michaud, then Maine was one
game away from the NCAA's.  Alfie has turned into a consistent
goaltender and I believe this has happened for a number of reasons..
first, he's simply older and a better goalie after having worked with
the coaching staff for a couple of years.

Second, for the first time in his career he's been challenged.  Mike
Morrison is a good goaltender and will continue to improve.  Good
things have been said about Matt yeats as well.  Maine will have 3 top
goaltenders next year and the fact that there is finally life behind
Alfie I believe has pushed Michaud to succeed this year.

Lastly a vastly improved defense plays in front of Alfie.

Alfie Michaud has improved most IMHO in making the "big" save.  He was
always a solid goaltender, but when Maine needed him to step up or stop
a breakaway, etc, Michaud was very beatable.  This year, Alfie is
making the big saves and he's got some great confidence going.

Maine will not go to Anahiem and perhaps not even the NCAA's without
the play of Michaud.  You need a solid goaltender to win a title and
right now Michaud is playing well enough to give Maine fans hope, no
doubt about it... but there is a lot of hockey left to be played.  The
good news for Maine is that I do not think they have peaked yet.

-dt