ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
Date:
Tue, 19 Jan 1999 13:28:44 -0500
8bit
From:
Mathy Matturro <[log in to unmask]>
William Stewart writes:
>As for Alfie, hey, the kid is putting up All   American numbers and
>that isn't bad for a goalie who, up until now, doesn't really turn it
>on until after Christmas. Thing is, Mathy, how far Maine goes in the
>postseason, in part, will coincide with how well Alfie does when
>challenged.
>       Because, let's face it, Alfie will get tested in the postseason and
>how he responds to it   and ultimately performs    will play a big
>factor in how long Maine will be playing hockey this year.  To date,
>Alfie has responded more times than not when challenged. His
>performance against BC that Friday night was perhaps the best game I've
>ever seen him play.

i am sorry...but it is not all about alfie..granted that kid has done
what he has to do to keep us in our toes..i think that defense it our
main game..i dont know if you went to the colgate game in hartford..but
i did and it was absurd....aside from bowing a 3-0 lead....the defense
was really bad...i dont know if that has anything to do with not having
janik at the time or what..but we couldn't get out of our zone...alfie
did however keep up making sure that we would at least gain the tie and
not tarnish our record....you could put mickey mouse between our posts
and if the defense is on point..we wont have a problem..look at sundays
game..or even the bc game on friday....we were untouchable....even the
dartmouth game..although not all the much of a challenge still a good
example of what our defense does for us..not to mention the forwards
that do an amazing job at what they do obviously....i just think that
umaines defensive game is what has taken us as far as we have
gotten..who would have know that we would be as good as we are..when
you compare to last season..when our defense..although good was not all
as outstanding as this season... i think that the defense has truly
stepped up and is proving that Maine is a true force to be reckoned
with..and we will be challenged especially in the upcoming games to
prove that and i know that we can remain on top........