ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
From:
"Wayne T. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Oct 1998 11:17:51 EDT
Kevin wrote, in part..
>I was just wondering if all of the alleged new recruits have been seen
>at practice.
>I know there has been some talk about Barrett possibly not coming....
>
>I would just like to know how the new class is going to shape up.

Well, Heisten looked good Saturday afternoon.  So did several others!

I figure they'll score a bunch of goals, especially since Walsh seems to
let them emphasize the offense early in the season.  On offense, some
very good players will not be able to break into the lineup on a regular
basis!

For returnees, Kariya, Walsh (sort of a returnee :)), Larose (at
center!) and Leger were among the players who impressed me.

But I've thought the 2, soon to be 3, goalies would have to stand side
by side to quell the surge past what I thought would be a weak defense.

The answer: Peter Metcalf.  This fellow is very impressive folks!
Wearing #4, he repeatedly showed he could handle the puck or a puck
carrier, as well as see the ice and be in great position.

(Returnee Ek also looked bigger, stronger and better than ever).

There's a lot of talent on this team.  If they can find their roles to
form a winning team, as I suspect they will, this will be a very
exciting year.

Come to the Blue-White game this Friday evening (drop the puck at 7pm)
                            ===================
and see for yourself!  And don't expect an "excuse me for bumping you"
performance.  The depth of talent means that everyone must train and
play hard to get a shot.  Coach also likes for the upperclassmen to show
the incoming players a little what it's like to play college hockey at
this level.  A little intimidation now may make for a quickly
experienced player. :-)

cheers, wayne

(Down in the dumps because I'll miss my 1st Bl-Wh game in many years)

Wayne T. Smith          Systems Group -- UNET Technology Services
[log in to unmask]           University of Maine System
Co-owner of the College Hockey lists - Hockey-L/Info-Hockey-L/Hockey3