ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
From:
Wayne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Jul 1998 02:00:14 EDT
Comments:
To: The College Hockey Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>, [log in to unmask]
From the Bangor Daily News...
==========================

   UM's White signs with Avalanche

   By Larry Mahoney Of the NEWS Staff

   Former University of Maine tri-captain Brian White, a rugged
   stay-at-home defenseman who tallied 34 points in 135 career games,
   has signed a two-year contract with the Colorado Avalanche.

   The 22-year-old White had been drafted by the Tampa Bay Lightning in
   the 11th round in 1994 but he said the Lightning showed little
   interest in him so he secured his release and became a free agent.

   Colorado gave him the best offer, a two-way contract that includes a
   signing bonus in the $60,000 range.  White said he will earn
   $50,000-$70,000 a year on Colorado's AHL franchise in Hershey and
   upwards of $400,000 if he makes the Avalanche roster.

   "I'm real happy," said the 6 foot-1, 195-pound White, who spent two
   months and played in one game with Long Beach of the IHL this spring.
   "[Maine] coach [Shawn] Walsh said Colorado is a real solid
   organization and is known to use their farm team quite a bit.
   They'll call up young guys and give them experience.

   "I'm going to work hard and, hopefully, I'll get called up someday,"
   said White.

   Colorado used 30 different players this past season.

   White said he is spending a lot of time in the weight room and
   intends to play the same style of game that became his trademark at
   Maine.

   "I want to keep improving upon the things I do well.  I'm going to
   play the solid, intense defense I normally play along with the solid
   hitting.  I won't back down," he said.

From the Bangor Daily News...
==========================

   UM selects assistant to Walsh

   ORONO - The University of Maine announced Wednesday that Gene Reilly
   was named assistant hockey coach, replacing Mario Thyer.

   Reilly held the position of head coach and general manager of the New
   England Junior Coyotes, leading the team to a 44-6-1 record last
   season.  From 1995-97, he compiled a 87-9-7 mark in two seasons as
   head coach of the Junior Whalers.

   "[UMaine] is a program that is going to make a run at the national
   championship in the next few years," said Reilly.  "I have always
   admired the UMaine hockey club because the program that I came from
   placed players in the top colleges on the nation such as Boston
   University, UMaine and Lake Superior State.  [Head coach] Shawn Walsh
   is one of college hockey's premier coaches and I am looking forward
   to working with him."

   Walsh said his program is ecstatic to have Reilly.

   "He brings a wealth of hands-on teaching and coaching experience, as
   well as a tremendous knowledge of some key recruiting areas," Walsh
   said.

   Prior to the 1995 season, Reilly was a member of the Springfield Pics
   organization for seven years, beginning as an assistant coach in
   1988, becoming co-coach in 1990-91, assistant general manager in
   1991-92 and head coach in 1993-94.

From a recent NCAA News ...
=======================

   Women's hockey-Judy Parish chosen as head coach to succeed George
   Crowe, who announced plans to retire, effective September 1.

   Men's and women's ice hockey assistants- Jamie DuMont selected as
   assistant hockey coach at Hobart and William Smith ...  Lake Superior
   State announced the hiring of Alan Dunbar as assistant coach.  Dunbar
   has been a volunteer assistant coach at the school for the past two
   seasons and succeeds David Berard, who resigned.

   Ice hockey- James Adair named head men's ice hockey coach at
   Villanova.

   Ice hockey assistant- David Berard succeeds Dave Peters as assistant
   ice hockey coach at Providence.  Berard has been an assistant at Lake
   Superior State for two seasons ...  New Hampshire College added John
   Nanof as men's associate hockey coach.

   Ice Hockey

   Head Hockey Coach.  Benedictine University (NCAA Division III,
   Midwest Collegiate Hockey Association Conference) is seeking a head
   hockey coach.  This is a part-time position, including recruitment
   and program management.  A master's degree (or bachelor's plus
   comparable academic/professional credentials) is required.
   Successful coaching experience required (collegiate level preferred).
   Certification in Amateur Hockey Association.  Salary is competitive,
   The search, will continue until the position is filled.  A letter of
   application, with a resume and at least three references should be
   sent to: Human Resources Office, Benedictine University, 5700 College
   Road, Lisle, Illinois 60532-0900 or by fax 630/960-9946.  EOE.

   Associate Men's Ice Hockey Coach.  Bemidji State University is an
   NCAA Division II member that sponsors a Division I independent men's
   ice hockey team.  This is a 9-month position to begin August 18,
   1998.  Past playing and coaching experience is required preferably at
   the collegiate level and above.  Bachelor's degree required, master's
   degree prefered.  The individual hired will be responsible for
   assisting the head coach in all phases of the men's ice hockey
   program within university and NCAA rules and regulations.  In
   addition, special emphasis will be placed on coaching experience,
   recruiting, fund raising, written and oral communication skills.
   There will also be hockey promotions/assignments in conjunction with
   the Beaver Pride Athletic Support Group.  Review of application
   material will begin immediately and continue until the position is
   filled.  Interested candidates should submit a letter of application,
   a resume and a list of three references with current addresses and
   phone numbers to R.H.  "Bob" Peters, Hockey Coach, Bemidji State
   University, 1500 Birchmont Drive NE, Bemidji, MN 56601-2699, Phone:
   218/755-2767.  Equal Opportunity educator and employer.

   Head Women's Ice Hockey Coach.  Manhattanville College is a
   coeducational, independent liberal arts college located on 100 acres
   of suburban countryside in Westchester County.  Head coaching
   position for developing NCAA Division III program.  Responsibilities
   include all aspects of team management, with specific emphasis on
   recruiting.  Qualifications: bachelor's degree and previous head
   coaching experience.  Consideration given to those candidates
   qualified to coach two sports.  Send cover letter, resume and three
   reference names with phone numbers to: Ms. Karen Peterson, Athletics
   Director, Manhattanville College, 2900 Purchase St., Purchase, NY
   10577.  Fax: 914/323-5130.  EOE - We are an equal opportunity
   employer actively encouraging applications from candidates with
   diverse backgrounds.

   Ice Hockey

   Head Women's Hockey Coach.  St.  Cloud State University is in the
   process of building an intercollegiate women's ice hockey program
   that will eventually compete at the Division I level in the NCAA.
   Duties of the head coach will include promoting an interest in the
   new program, recruiting student-athletes, setting up competitive
   schedules, assist in setting up an initial budget and ordering
   equipment.  This individual will be required to follow the guidelines
   set by the NCAA along with future conference regulations and
   university policies.  Bachelor's degree required.  Three to five
   years of experience coaching ice hockey.  Knowledge of the NCAA
   regulations and a demonstrated ability to manage a program and
   recruit student-athletes is desirable.  This successful candidate
   will have demonstrated ability to work with persons from culturally
   diverse backgrounds.  A vita, transcripts and three recent letters of
   recommendation should be sent directly to: Craig Dahl, Women's Head
   Hockey Coach Search Committee, Halenbeck Hall, St Cloud State
   University, 720 Fourth Avenue South, St.  Cloud, MN 56301.  The
   deadline for all application materials is July 29, 1998.  SCSU is
   committed to excellence and actively supports cultural diversity.  To
   promote this endeavor, we invite individuals who contribute to such
   diversity to apply, including minorities, women, the disabled and
   veterans.

Wayne T. Smith          Systems Group -- UNET Technology Services
[log in to unmask]           University of Maine System
Co-owner of the College Hockey lists - Hockey-L/Info-Hockey-L/Hockey3