ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Wayne T Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Feb 2005 00:14:30 -0500
I wrote, in part:

> james acheson wrote, in part:
>
>> also, who saw Michel's spear?  was it a doozy?  and what led to it?
>

> I saw it.  As I recall, Michel circled the Maine/south net with puck in
> hand and a Northeastern little pest (#9, Cal Ingraham-like, Mudryk (wish
> he played for Maine!)) trailing, but bugging Leveille with his stick.
> At more or less the blue line, Leveille shoveled the puck forward and
> now trailed the play, still with Mudryk in tow.
>
> Exasperated at being continually slowed, Leveille turned to Mudryk, and
> with the pair still skating up ice, banged the left elbow/midsection of
> Mudryk.  Leveille's stick was horizontal, but the blade of his stick was
> 2 feet *beyond* Mudryk, clearly *not* a spear, if you had the right
> angle. ...

(The fine print correction:)
Well, I apologize that it was I that had a bad angle.  Encouraged by
Michel's comments to Larry Mahoney in the Bangor Daily News
(http://www.bangornews.com/news/templates/?a=107815&z=225), I looked at
the WABI-TV telecast.  The stick I saw going beyond Mudryk was Mudryk's
own stick. Leveille's play was a spear, albeit a "little",  "stupid" one.

cheers, wayne