ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Wayne T Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Apr 2004 15:49:51 -0400
Here we have the age-old problem of fans reading the rule book and so
knowing what should be called, and a referee knowing what should be
called ... and having the whistle.  Fans will always believe in the rule
book as law, especially when the other team did the deed, and the
referees will always believe, wholeheartedly, their interpretation is
right and the only interpretation.

I believe Hache will always call lots of penalties early in the game and
let almost all of the same things go later in the game.  The players
have to learn the situation and referee to know the rules du jour and of
the moment.

I believe most referees wouldn't have called either of the penalties
around 18:00, but the referee that night had been calling things pretty
close, so I don't think the hook was inconsistent. The delay of game was
a surprise, but only because most referees would have used their
experience to make up a rule (handpass or play dead) where the
applicable rule would be "too harsh".

On another front: do you suppose Maine ever practiced a 6-on-3?!

cheers (even to the refs), wayne   ;-)