ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
"Chesley, Clair" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Nov 2003 12:05:50 -0500
Well since this foolish discussion seems to be continuing I guess I'll jump
in again with an insight.  UMO came into being because The University of
Maine at Orono was a mouthful.  Now I know that you aren't supposed to need
the Orono part since the University of Maine IS the Orono campus but there
are times when it's important to distinguish which campus of the University
System you're talking about.  However UMO is my last choice of a name for my
alma mater.  I prefer, in order: Maine, UMaine, and then UMO.  I'm still
thinking about UMO as a cheer though.   When I was there we always just
spelled out M.A.I.N.E.,