ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
"Wayne T. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Sep 2003 10:13:47 EDT
>If this technology proves successful and ALL Maine games are broadcast this way
> what will the effect be on attendance? I can see families staying home to watc
> the Bears for only $14.95 rather than paying $17+ each, plus Pat's, plus Bear
> Necessities, etc, etc......just wondering......

Pay-per-view would have to be wildly successful in order for WABI-TV to
offer it on a game without live TV (and its revenue).

My guess is that WABI's pay-per-view per game costs are tightly bound to
the number of subscribers, thereby minimizing risk.  Do they need 100
PPV subscribers to break even ...  I don't know.  I do know that even at
$15 a pop, they would need a lot of PPV subscribers to pay production
costs for a game.

So, how many people are there that drive to Alfond regularly, but don't
get WABI-TV ...  and would want to pay $15 for a much less than TV
quality signal?

WABI is betting on an audience ... my guess it will be primarily from "away".

Your thoughts, ME-Hockey?    cheers, wayne