ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Feb 2000 13:04:53 -0500
Maine's participation in the NCAA Tournament is by no means a given.  There
is a lot of hockey left to be played this season and the schedule does
favor Maine, but while it may be important, it is going to be tough to win
all 8 games.  But I agree that if the Black Bears do win all 8, they'll be
playing in the last week of March.

Merrimack (2 games) was seconds from beating Maine back before we had even
lost a game (6-0-1 at the time).  Providence swept Northeastern last
weekend, UMass (who comes to town this weekend) plays a very stingy
defensive style, which won't help our scoring problems and have solid
goaltending from Markus Helanen and Lowell, while in last place, has played
one of the toughest schedules in the nation.  Maine can win all 8 games,
but they can easiy go 4-4 too.  I'm sure Coach Walsh will do his best to
keep Maine focused.

Personally, I expect the Bears to be very hungry this weekend.

Regarding the NCAA Tournament.. things to keep in mind:
- after the Beanpot, Maine is now #7 in the Pairwise Rankings.  We are now
behind UNH, BU and BC.  We are also behind Niagara, an independent that
looks like it might very well make the tournament.  They might be an
eastern regional team as well.  Last year, if you recall, BC was a #4 seed
(where Maine roughly sits) and was sent out west, despite the East Regional
being in Mass.

- with the loss in the Beanpot, Northeastern dropped to 11-10-5.  Maine may
be in 5th-place in Hockey East, but they are clearly ahead of NU in the
race for the NCAA Tournament and not too far behind BU and
BC.  Northeastern must stay at or above .500 to be a team under
consideration, regardless of the league standings.  The NCAA uses overall
records for tournament selection.

- keep in mind that it is important to right the ship and get back on a
winning streak because post-season tournament winners get automatic berths
to the tournament.  Imagine if Northeastern or one of the second-tier
Hockey East teams wins the NCAA Tournament?  As allegedly objective as the
NCAA Tournament selection is, it's hard to imagine 5 teams from Hockey East
(that's 5 of 12 possible tournament teams!!)