From:
Jim Dahl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Dec 2005 17:56:44 -0800
Wayne-

I (SiouxSports.com) didn't include them only because I had the impression they didn't count, and in the face of uncertainty the default became not to add them.  This page doesn't indicate when they will count for "D-I opponent RPI", but it does demonstrate that it usually coincides with "D-I Opponent Bylaw 20" (which is 06-07 for RIT):
http://www1.ncaa.org/membership/governance/division_I/DI_Membership_Info/Status_Page

Jim

[log in to unmask] wrote: Robin Lock wrote, in part,  on 12/15/2005 12:30 PM:
> Does anyone know how the NCAA might handle first-year RIT when
> computing RPI (and hence in PWR)? I have a vague recollection of such
> games not counting in the past - as an incentive for encouraging teams
> to play new programs without taking a hit on SOS (see the RPI version
> at http://siouxsports.com/hockey/rankings/rpi.php which appears to
> exclude the RIT games as compared to http://maine.edu/heal/RPI.STAND
> which includes them).

That's a great question, Robin!

I included RIT only because I found no web references to "emerging"  in
ice hockey since 2001 (Findlay, perhaps?) and they are apparently
playing 29 D-I games this season.

Craig, why is RIT ineligible for the NCAA tournament?

Thanks and cheers, wayne

Yahoo! Shopping