From:
Karen/Greg Ambrose <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Karen/Greg Ambrose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Apr 2000 20:06:20 +0900
I have witnessed all three of North Dakota's NCAA championships in
Providence (1980, 1982 and 200), as well as the one in Milwaukee (1997).
Beyond the fact that the Nodak's play a much different style under Blais
than they ever did under Gasparini, I find it quite remarkable that they
have won it all the last three times the Phinal Phour has been in
Providence.

Looking through the archives I find that only one team has won it more than
once in the same city since the tournament was moved out of Colorado
Springs in 1958.  Boston University won it in 1978 and 1995 when the
tournament was played, ironically, in Providence!  There must be something
about the Civic Center's ice.  Or Mayor Buddy Cianci's spaghetti sauce!

BTW, I would be remiss if I did not congratulate Providence on being such a
fine host.  Being from Boston, we have always looked at Providence as a
poor relation with nothing to offer but some Italian jokes and the Foxy
Lady.  But I have to say they did a great job in making  college hockey
fans feel welcome this past weekend.  A far cry from last year in Anaheim
when no one gave a care about whether we were there or not.  It's too bad
their arena isn't bigger because it would be a great alternative to the
Fleet Center in Boston

Greg Ambrose
UNH in 2001.  It might be a space odyssey.

P.S.  Where was Luis Valente?  We missed him at the Hockey-L dinner!