From:
"John T. Whelan" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John T. Whelan
Date:
Fri, 26 Dec 1997 12:36:09 -0700
Jerry Sneirson says of the BU-Michigan State Ice Breaker game:

> Exhibition game. Didn't count.

        Well, I'm glad someone is certain about this issue.  To quote
Mike Blanchard back in October:

>The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel is reporting today that Jack Parker objected
>to the plan that the games in the inaugural Ice Breaker tournament would
>count in the teams won-loss record but not count against the maximum 34
>games allowed by the NCAA. Earlier the NCAA had granted the Ice Breaker
>tournament exempt status.

>Parker reportedly said that when the contract for the tournamnet was signed
>it was under the understanding that this was an exhibition tournament. The
>Journal Sentinel says that Parker said his Terriers, who practiced for just
>5 days before the tournament, did not prepare for the idea that the games
>would count (How do you do that?).

>Prior to Friday's games Parker said that the four coaches (Parker, Sauer,
>Mason and Morris) met and agreed to recommend that the games be treated as
>exhibition games. The issue is going before the championships committee of
>the NCAA for a ruling. The ruling is not expected for a couple of months.

        Now, to me if the NCAA announces that the games will count,
the coaches agree that they shouldn't and petition the NCAA, that to
me says we should count the games pending the decision, although USCHO
is doing the opposite.  (I've been counting the games in my weekly
ECAC report, which only hurts the ECAC's interconference record.)

Jerry again:

> Can UNH count their first exibition game?

        No, because everybody (including the NCAA) agrees it was an
exhibition.
                                        John Whelan, Cornell '91
                <http://www.cc.utah.edu/~jtw16960/joe.html>

Cornell Men's Ice Hockey: Back-to-back ECAC and Ivy League Champions