From:
Cfdoughty <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cfdoughty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Dec 1997 15:53:35 EST
Just when it seemed that things couldn't get any worse for
University of Minnesota Gophers along came the St. Cloud
State Huskies and another tough loss to extend their record
setting losing streak to eight games. During the skid they have
lost six of the eight games by one goal margins but Friday's 3-1
loss at Mariucci Arena is probably the toughest to swallow. The
Gophers outshot the Huskies 42-9 for the game and enjoyed a 33-3
shot advantage in the second and third periods.  Goaltender Brian
Leitza played great for SCSU and was helped by the Gophers inability
to bury their chances.  Spehar, Smith, Anderson, and Berg all had
opportunities when Leitza was down or out of position but couldn't finish.
This is the second time I've seen SCSU play this season  and other than
the play of Leitza this was not an impressive effort. The rematch tonight in
St. Cloud should be interesting. I expect the Huskies to play a much stronger
game and not sit back and rely on Leitza as much. The Gophers Ryan Kraft
will miss tonight's game with a possible broken hand as a result of blocking
a shot last night. The Gophers can ill afford to lose Kraft at a time when
they are struggling to score. I hope they can get the monkey off their back
and break out tonight. Eight is definitely enough.

Chad Doughty