Sender:
From:
Sean Pickett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Dec 2000 18:50:13 -0500
It has been quite a while since I have contributed much to this list.  My
former website was only one of many reasons why, but I had not realized
how much I had contributed to the list the first few years I was a member
until Wayne sent out the birthday greeting.  Seeing my name listed
among those who had contributed at least 500 posts surprised me very
much.

That said, I have wanted to write a little about the Terriers this year since
Greenie gave his one game review after the Denver game two weeks ago.
I felt then (and still feel now) that he was too harsh on Sean Fields.
Based on his comments it sounds to me that Fields played like he did in
the UMass Lowell game and not his other three games.  He may not feel
comfortable in opponent rinks yet, as he has played quite well in his
three games at Walter Brown (more on that below.)  So, as I cannot
expect anyone else to speak for me, here is my attempt at a review of the
Terriers at the end of the first semester.

GOAL

BU started the season with two unknowns, Jason Tapp and Sean Fields.
Tapp had seen only limited action his first two seasons, and although he
had some good games, he also had some terrible games.  Coach Parker
tabbed him as the number one goalie to start the season and he started
the first four games of the season, before moving into a goalie rotation
with Sean Fields.  Even though I am currently researching and compiling
the complete game-by-game stats of every Terrier and opponent player
for every game BU has played, I realize that stats alone can never give
the complete picture (although I will use them below.)  So, after nine
games, how do I assess Tapp's play?

The more I watch him play the more I do not like his style; it makes me
uncomfortable and nervous.  To me he needs to react to the play quicker,
stay in the net more and make key saves.  That said, in the last two
games, at UMass Amherst and vs Maine last night, I thought he played
much better.  In both games he seemed to react to the play more quickly,
although he still seemed to be slow to recover after going down to make
a save.  He also made key saves in both games for the first time since the
Vermont game.  In both games he was scored upon first, but did not
allow another goal until the Terriers had a multiple goal lead (5-1 and 3-1).
 Furthermore, in last night's game in did not allow the tying goal in the
final minutes of the game.  And of course his stats for the last two games
show a tremendous improvement as well.  If Tapp continues to improve,
and continues to make key saves, I think he can be a solid and
dependable goalie for the rest of the season.

In comparison to Tapp, I like the style of play of Sean Fields.  I have
been impressed by his quick glove and acrobatic ability.  What has
impressed me most, however, is his awareness of where the puck is at all
times and his ability to breakup centering passes from behind or to the
side of the net.  As I mentioned earlier, Fields has looked and played
extremely well at Walter Brown Arena.  However, it appears he needs to
work on his confidence when at opponent rinks.  In the UMass Lowell
game he seemed to stay back in the net, not breakup plays and left some
big rebounds in front of the net (which Greenie said he also did in
Denver.)  If Fields can play the same way he has at Walter Brown in
other rinks I think he can become an excellent goalie for the rest of the
season and his career at BU.  And, since I mentioned it above, here are
Sean Fields' home and away stats (unofficial, based on official games
summaries):

Home: 3 games, 179:07 minutes, 4 ga, 1.34 gaa, 65 saves, 0.942 pct., 2-1-0,
1 shutout
Away: 2 games, 118:44 minutes, 9 ga, 4.55 gaa, 41 saves, 0.820 pct., 0-2-0

Do they mean anything?  I think so, but you can draw your own
conclusions.

DEFENSE

What was expected to be BU's strongest strength has been a major
disappointment the first semester.  The early return of Freddy Meyer did
little to improve matters at first.  After his first game back, a 3-0 win over
Merrimack, the team went into a 6-games losing streak.   However, in the
past three games the defense has improved and Meyer as a goal in each
game, along with 2 assists in the UMass Amherst games.  It looks at this
time if Meyer is stepping up to the next level, both defensively and
offensively.  Unfortunately for the Terriers he will be with the US World
Junior Team in Russia and will miss the Badger Showdown, and possibly
one or both BC games.  That experience should only help him even more
the rest of the season after he rejoins the team.

Meyer's playing on the US World Junior Team will give Colin Sheen
some playing time again, as he has been the odd defenseman out since
the return of Meyer and Keith Emery from injury, and has not played the
last six games.  I thought he has been solid and steady in the eight
games he has played, however Coach Parker has elected to stay with the
same defensive pairings for those six games.

I have been disappointed with Pat Aufiero, but to a lesser extent then
several other Terrier fans.  I would like to see him stay back more than he
does, especially as he rarely takes a shot or passes on his frequent
rushes at the opponent net.

Overall I am pleased with the current defensive pairings of Bussoli-
Dyment, Meyer-Cronin and Emery-Aufiero, especially over the past three
games.  They still need to improve for BU to do well this year, but they
are starting to look and play they way they were expected to at the start
of the season.

FORWARD

The loss of Tommi Degerman and Chris Heron hurt far more than
expected, as the returning forwards have yet to step up to replace them.
However, Coach Parker has also used many line combinations as he
looks to find ones that are successful.  It appears that the Coach has
liked his latest lines, as they have been together for the past three games.
 The top line of Johnson-Cavanaugh-Sabo has played well, but does not
have much to show for it on the scoreboard.  With Sabo leaving to be
with the US World Junior Team I do not know if this line will be re-united
when he rejoins the team in January.

The fourth line of Magowan-Mullen-Priem has also played well.  They
have no points but they have impressed me with their forechecking and
hitting.  In my opinion they have done a great job and seem to always
get the puck in the offensive zone.  If they start putting the puck in the
net it will be a welcome bonus.

The second line of Baker-Corazzini-Skladany has been the best of the
season.  In just three games they have combined for 4 goals and 11
assists for 15 points.  Corazzini has not only scored 3 goals, but he is
also now successfully setting up other players, assisting on four goals.
Frantisek Skladany is doing well on the line, with two assists and his
goal last night vs Maine.  He seems to fit right in on the line and looks to
be improving every game.  Jack Baker has no goals, but has five assists,
two on Corazzini goals and one on Skladany's goal.   The third line of
Pandolfo-Collins-Gillis is also playing well and scoring points, with 3
goals and 5 assists in the three games.  What's more, both lines have
been involving the defense in the play and scoring (3-3-6 from
defenseman when these lines are on the ice.)

SPECIAL TEAMS

The powerplay has been extremely good this year: it was 22-71 (31.0
percent) before going 0-6 vs Maine to drop it to 28.6 percent.  This is a
marked improvement over last year's 20.2 percent powerplay.  The
defense is also an important part of the powerplay, as defensemen have 6
of the 22 goals.

On the penalty kill the Terriers are not doing as well as last year: they are
currently killing only 79.5 percent of their penalties (17-of-83), down from
85.5 percent last year.  On the upside is the fact that the Coach is using
Mark Mullen as one of his regular penalty killers and I think he has been
quite good at it.  Also, as the defense improves I expect the overall
penalty killing to also improve the rest of the season.

FINAL THOUGHTS

Unfortunately, I have to wait four weeks until I see my next game.
However, once I do, I expect to see 18 more Terrier regular, plus any and
all post-season, games the rest of this season.  Well, that's it: I hope that
this attempt to review the first semester is read, perhaps found
interesting, and possibly even intelligent, by at least some of the other
Hockey-L members.

Sean Pickett            E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Go Terriers             2000 Beanpot Champions