EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Dirk Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Dec 2000 12:22:27 -0800
Tim:

It's true that the Electoral College is meant to give representation to
smaller states. It performs this function very well - too well.  During the
past 200 years, along with a tremendous boom in population and urban
activity, the basis of conflicting interests has actually shifted away from
states vs. fed to rural (agrarian and energy) vs. urban (manufacture,
commerce, and transportation), with the Fed as the prize.  Most urban areas
are in states with powerful rural economies.  This means that, in the larger
states, federal representation is diluted (in the Senate, practically
diminished to zero).  Since there are many primarily rural states and, with
the "exception" of D.C., no primarily urban states, the urban population is
under-represented in the federal government.

During the Cold War, it was said that citizens of New York and Moscow have
more in common with each other than either has with a citizen of rural Iowa
or the rural Ukraine (and vice versa).  Citizens of San Francisco and
Chicago have more in common with each other than either has with a citizen
of rural Illinois or rural California.  Drawing the lines of representation,
especially in presidential races, along state boundaries no longer reflects
the actual dislocation of interests.

I am not arguing for a dissolution of the Union, the Constitution, or the
Electoral College as they presently exist (though they do not balance power
very well anymore, if they ever actually did).  It is simply that I do not
hold the winner-take-all-by-state Electoral College to be representative of
the interests even of the particular states in which they are appointed.
And, since to eliminate the Electoral College would require the
participation of those who now hold greater representation per capita, the
Electoral College (as well as boob-tube elections) is here to stay.

One positive effect of the Bush selection (I baulk at saying that he was
elected) could be that people will pay more attention to representation in
both Congress and their respective state legislatures.  Most people know who
the president is.  Many know who their senators are.  Fewer know who their
congressmen are.  Still fewer know who their state representatives are.
Maybe the threat of the Florida Legislature to select their own slate of
electors should Gore win the popular vote after a full recount will wake our
neighbors up a bit - but probably not.  The airwaves will be full of the
next spectacle and the treachery of this election will be largely forgotten
or dispersed with inflated rhetoric.

Unfortunately, I can't "remember a day when the historians left blanks in
their writings, I mean, for things they didn't know."

All that just to say that I basically agree with you.

Dirk Johnson
Assistant Vice President
Kelling, Northcross & Nobriga
A Division of Zions First National Bank