From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jul 2000 09:15:43 -0400
The following story appeared in today's Portland Press Herald and is available online at:  http://www.portland.com/sports/college/hockey/000707walsh.shtml

      Shawn Walsh to have cancerous kidney removed

      By MIKE LOWE, Portland Press Herald Writer
      Copyright © 2000 Blethen Maine Newspapers Inc.

      Shawn Walsh, who turned the University of Maine's ice hockey program into one of the nation's best, will undergo surgery today at a Boston hospital to have a cancerous kidney removed.

      University officials would not say what form of kidney cancer Walsh has, nor would they confirm that he was having surgery.

      But according to family friends, the 45-year-old Walsh will have a kidney removed as part of an "aggressive treatment'' designed to stop the disease from spreading.

      "It's a tough road he's facing,'' said longtime friend Alan Miller, a Bangor investment broker. "Shawn is as he always is, positive and upbeat. But he's a realist. He knows what he is facing.''

      Walsh was told on Monday that the kidney was cancerous. He had had a nagging cough and wasn't feeling well after his workouts and training runs, according to friends.

      He became concerned and had a checkup, which revealed the cancer.

      "When he told me the news, I didn't know what to say,'' said Niko Dimitrakos, a junior forward who is working this week at UMaine's hockey camp. "It was shocking.

      "Coach sounded upbeat. But you know how he is. He's a real competitive guy. And he doesn't show that he's upset on the outside, but I'm sure inside he's messed up about it.''

      When he returns from Boston, Walsh will cut back on his administrative duties and speaking engagements. But school officials expect him to be ready for the hockey season, which opens in late September with preseason practice.

      "That is what we expect,'' said Suzanne Tyler, the school's athletic director. "We expect that he'll be here when students get back. He may not be as strong as he was . . . last year, but we expect he'll be able to do all his on-ice work.''

      Walsh, whose 379 career victories rank him 11th among active college hockey coaches, has been at the school for 16 years. He has led the Black Bears to two NCAA Division I championships, in 1993 and 1999, and five other semifinal appearances.

      UMaine also was the target of an NCAA investigation, which revealed various eligibility infractions. Subsequently, Walsh was suspended for one calendar year, 1996, and UMaine was barred from the NCAA tournament for two years.

      Walsh does not expect the program to suffer because of his illness.

      "The world is full of people who have had to face challenges like this one,'' said Walsh in a press release. "It's a battle I have to take on and I am prepared to do so, thankfully with the support of my family and friends.''

      He added that "I look forward to the fall and my return to the ice, hopefully cancer-free. Since I will be able to continue with most of my administrative duties during treatment this summer, everything in the hockey program will remain status quo.''

      Walsh has a career record of 379-203-37, all at UMaine. He has coached two Hobey Baker Award winners, Scott Pellerin and Paul Kariya, and 28 All-America selections.

      He has always been regarded as an exceptional tactical coach, though his friends say his determination and inner strength are what make him successful.

      "We all know what a strong person he is,'' said Nonni Daly, the former Hockey East commissioner and a family friend.

      "I've known him for 16 years. He crosses every 't' and dots every 'i'. That's how he handles everything. And he's going at this the same way.

      "If inner strength is something that carries a person through something like this, he will come out fine.''

      Miller said Walsh knows he faces a long recovery. But he also said Walsh hopes to be on the ice as soon as possible.

      "He knows he needs to take care of himself first, there's no question about that,'' said Miller. "This is a matter of life and death. But mentally, the sooner he's able to get back to his normal routine, which means for him coaching hockey, the better off he's going to be.''

      For the immediate future, however, his duties will be limited.

      "We'll have other people doing some of his work,'' said Tyler, "so he can focus on getting well.''

      Staff Writer Mike Lowe can be contacted at 791-6422 or at: [log in to unmask]