From:
Tom Nelson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tom Nelson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Oct 2000 11:54:30 -0500
10/19/00

ST. CLOUD STATE WOMEN'S HOCKEY FEATURE ON LAURA GIESELMAN

By Sarah Brand
SCSU Athletic Media Relations
    Laura Gieselman, a sophomore on the St. Cloud State womenıs ice hockey
team, came into SCSUıs hockey program last year ready to play.  The 5-7
goaltender didnıt have to make much of an adjustment from Shattuck-St.
Maryıs Academy, a college preparatory school in Fairbault, Minn. to the
Western Collegiate Hockey Association.
    "I didnıt think there was much of difference between Shattuck-St. Maryıs
Academy and a Division-I program.  They were already preparing us for
college.  But the girls at this level are definitely bigger and stronger.
    Her numbers were nothing but impressive from last year. As a freshman,
Gieselman saw a nation leading 989 shots.   In 28 games, she averaged 4.19
GAA, an .884 saves percentage, two shutouts, a 9-16-3 record, as well as
earning WCHA Player of the Week honors for the week of March 1, an
impressive honor award for a first year player at this level of competition.
    The coaches are also impressed with Gieselmanıs ability. ³Sheıs a true
starter,²  says assistant coach Jean Vaillancourt. Sheıs one of the best
goalies in the league, if not the country.  Hopefully weıll have a team in
front of her to prove that.
    ³Last year she had a lot of athletic ability.  Our student coach Jeff
(Ruten) has worked with her a lot over the past year and she has become
technically stronger in her ability.²
    There is always room for improvement and over the summer Gieselman
worked with some of the top players in the country.  She was a member of the
Olympic Development Program in Burnsville and played in tournaments with
Olympian hockey players.  To enhance her skills in the net, Gieselman worked
with a goalie coach all summer long in St. Paul.
    Hopefully some day her hard effort will pay off.  "I would like to be
invited to Lake Placid (New York).  Thatıs my career goal, to be on the
National team."
    As for now, Gieselman and the Huskies will be concentrating on the
2000-2001 season.  This past weekend the Huskies dropped two games to
conference rival Minnesota, 4-1 and 5-4.
    "The last two years theyıve dominated us, but we competed well against
them this weekend.  Itıs always fun to play against them because a lot of
our players are from around that area and theyıre only an hour away."
    Personally, the Gopher's are also Gieselmanıs toughest competitors.
    "Theyıre very good at setting up and executing their plays, and their
shots are always on target."
    Anyone who has watched the womenıs ice hockey program prosper over the
past two years knows what Gieselman is talking about.
    "Our team has definitely improved from last year.  We have good team
chemistry and a good group of  newcomers.  They are fast on defense which
helps me and we have strong players on offense to score goals.  Last weekend
against the Gophers was a symbol of what we can do.  I think weıre going to
surprise a lot of people this year.²
    Before signing on to join the Huskies, Gieselman looked all over the
country to play college hockey.
    "I looked at St. Lawrence in New York, Cornell, Bemidji and several
other schools.  St. Cloud State gave me the best opportunity for
goaltending.  I could come in and play right away, plus they have a good
honors program. Itıs also close to home and since I went away for high
school, I can be closer to home now."
    And home is where it all started.  Gieselman began playing hockey when
she was 8 years old.  "A family friend had two boys and they kept telling me
I should play hockey, and finally I did.  This rink (the NHC) is actually
where I started playing."
    Gieselman, who was a four year honors student in high school, is also in
St. Cloud Stateıs honor program.  She is earning a double major in Business
and Sport Management and eventually would like to work with a professional
franchise.
    ³Iım in a five year program college, but being in the honors program
helps eliminate some of the general education requirements, so hopefully
Iıll finish from the program in four years.²