EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Joanne DeMeno <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Sep 2000 22:32:36 -0400
I believe Pound did slip into insanity, if not before, certainly during his
stay in Pisa.  His fascism was not really frightening --honestly, who the
hell listened to Pound's ideas about economics? But, simply b/c he supported
such a system does not provide proof of insanity.  He appears insane because
of the WAY in which he advocated his beliefs.  His radio chats are just
insane rantings.  They make little sense and doubtfully made any real sort
of political or philosophical impact on anyone who tuned in.  There are
many, many other authors who truly impacted entire generations in a harmful
manner.  Pound did NOT impact economics or politics -- thankfully, he left
his mark only on art and poetics.  I think the fact that he tried to get
Confucius into Truman's hands when he returned from Pisa, just to choose one
example, is good proof that his mental state was at least questionable.