ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Cathy Hart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Jul 1997 10:38:45 -0400
I once again have failed to communicate my main message, it seems.  Here is
one last try:

Membership dues go directly to fund the scholarship, travel and equipment
needs of the team.  (They do not even pass through the operating account).
 Payment of those dues, if you feel you have to put it in terms of what you
get for your money, SHOULD INCLUDE THE HIGH QUALITY OF THIS PROGRAM.  It
would be impossible to maintain this consistent excellence on the ice if FMH
members did not support the program through their membership dollars.
 Without detailed research, which I can't take the time to do right now, I
can't provide you with dollar amounts for funding to each of our conference
rivals (ANYONE?) but I know it has always been much lower, with much higher
travel costs due to our isolated location.

Phil does make a point that FMH events are almost always in the Orono area.
 Since most of our present public events include the team, it would be
impractical to ask them to travel to other parts of the state, not to mention
probably illegal for some NCAA reason.  I recall the old system we had of
sponsoring Blue/White games in the County, Portland and Waterville areas was
declared illegal for somthing like that reason.  We have discussed many ideas
to replace those events, but folks just don't want to turn out if the team
isn't there!  Besides, every hour spent on FMH is one less hour these guys
can spend on studies, and the Mom in me says "N-n-n-n-n-n-n-oooooo!" to that!
 I'm sure Coach would agree!

I don't agree that it should be the responsibility of the FMH to take
business meetings and events to areas other than the Orono area, unless it's
in conjunction with a team event (we all work for a living, too, Phil!)  If
there are folks in other areas who want to organize events, rallies or
receptions, volunteers are always welcome, just offer, and we would happily
help in any way we could.  IT JUST CAN'T COST ANYTHING!!  With the lack of
funding of our flagship, land grant institution by the taxpayers of the State
of Maine, every expense should be the absolute minimal expense possible, and
we spend quite a bit of our time looking for the lowest cost and asking for
donations.  There just is no way to justify spending everyone's hard earned
money on anything but such team related things as we do at present.

Just FYI, I know of many fans who regularly make the drive from the Portland
and Lewiston areas.  One received the Spirit Award for 96-97.  He attended
every event, home and away, except the Blue White and the Banquet, when he
had the flu.  Shows a lot of commitment to supporting the team.  I know many
people from this area who regularly go to the Boston area for away games.
 They also work hard for a living.  Their commitment is higher.  (That
statement leaves me open for ridicule, as I don't travel to away games
myself! But that's another story!)

There is much to the newsletter that is NOT published on this and other
discussion lists.  Coach's Corner, for instance, and most if not all articles
remain the sole province of the newsletter, and will even when our web site
is up and running.  Also, since the majority of our members are not "net"
available, this is a very important resource for them.  There may be a time
when most of us are hooked up to these lists, then our very hard working and
talented newsletter editor will, I'm sure, happily spend more time writing
and less time editing for Maine Hockey!  (Dave?)

I think Phil has us confused with the ticket office!  Where did the idea
arise that FMH membership had anything to do with tickets?  We wait in line
just like everyone else.  The only thing we have ever been able to do was
offer season tickets for auction.  Except for last season, we (meaning the pro
gram) had to purchase them at the going rate just like anyone else.  What we
have tried to organize, and I believe volunteer power is all that's lacking,
is a program where folks who own season tickets and are planning a vacation,
say, when they know they can't use some, can donate them back to the program
via the FMH, so folks who don't have season tickets can purchase them at
cost.  My husband has been trying to get this sort of thing going for years,
but he spends so much time on UMaine Athletics as it is, he just can't do it
all.  So far there has been no one step forward to pick that idea up and run
with it.  Perhaps if there is a Southern Chapter started up, that could be
one of their main things?!?

Personally, I would love to see Cumberland County CC again.  I enjoyed it
very much before, selling fifty fifty, mostly!  If a lot of folks down there
feel this same way, write to Sue Tyler!!  Her Email address, and she's
published this in mailings, is: [log in to unmask]  (I
have found her very responsive and forthright on issues.) I believe the lack
of games there was due to lack of attendance.  Anyone have any other reason?
 I do remember several years ago Coach having some radio/tv spots where he
said "If you don't show up, we're not coming back", or something along those
lines, and the place was filled to capacity for that game, but attendance has
mostly been a disappointment since.  Remember, it costs a bundle to run games
there, compared to here.  You gotta have the attendance to justify the
expense!

As far as Phil's last complaint about the slant of the FMH, let me quote
Charles Durning in "Home for the Holidays":  "Opinions are like a-- h----s,
honey, everyone has one and everyone thinks everyone else's stinks".  I
remember one or two articles that had the slant he disagrees with.  For the
most part, though, we have stayed pretty neutral.  It would be appropriate to
state here though, that we didn't get any articles submitted stating the
opposite view.  We would have published those, too, if I know my Editor, who
is a man unafraid of controversy!

One of the programs my husband tried to get off the ground several years ago
was an incentive program for members in other parts of this great state to
promote Maine Hockey and sign up members.  It worked great in a few areas,
like Dixfield, and Millinockett, but there wasn't a great response otherwise.
 Do you have any ideas for planning this promotion?  I would enjoy some fresh
ones!!

Phil, as I read this over, I feel compelled to tell you that I can sense your
love for Maine Hockey, and share your frustration that many of your
complaints are ones the FMH are unable to comply with as we stand.  We have
one of the most energetic and committed group of volunteers I have ever seen
"dedicated to the support of the finest program in the nation" (IMHO).  We
have so much going on now, we offer more and are far more active than most
support groups on campus and across the nation, that our time and resources
are stretched to the bone.  Look at what we do at present and realize that it
is done with only ten to twenty regular volunteers, and perhaps ten to twenty
more occasional volunteers.  Pretty darned good.

So far, what I hear as criticism of the FMH mostly involve what folks "get"
for their dollars.  What I have tried, in my poor way, to communicate (JFK
said it better, but the message is the same!) is that every time the Bears
step on the ice, the membership of the Friends of Maine Hockey is like a
seventh player.  Every time they win, every member of the Friends of Maine
Hockey should feel part of that excitement.  The feeling you as a member are
vital to the quality of Maine Hockey is absolutely THE MOST IMPORTANT part of
being a member of the Friends.  I said in my speech at the Banquet, "the
effect of their commitment is felt every time the team receives scholarship
money, travels to a game, or puts on a piece of equipment".  Membership is
much more than what you "get" in the mail.  It is the pride and excitement of
Maine Hockey at it's best, and the absolute certainty you are a part of that
in a very real sense.

Cathy Hart

GO MAINE HOCKEY!!