ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Dec 2002 20:34:02 -0500
This email has been sent to you by Deron Treadwell ([log in to unmask]).

Comments from Sender:

This story can be found online at:
http://www.pressherald.com/sports/college/hockey/021216soll.shtml

                     Monday, December 16, 2002

                     COLUMN: Steve Solloway

                       Our team, and in person

                      Copyright  2002 Blethen Maine Newspapers Inc.

Robert Liscak didn't look up until he cleared the rink door and stepped onto the ice for the introductions. He almost stepped back.

   So many people, so much cheering.

   Liscak is a University of Maine senior, a sophisticate from Slovakia, not a freshman bumpkin. Large crowds, noisy arenas? Hey, he's been there, done that.

   Sunday at the Cumberland County Civic Center was different. Sunday was when people came early to Maine's game with Harvard and stayed late.

   Sunday was when every seat was filled and all 100 standing-room-only tickets had been scoffed up long before the university president, Peter Hoff, dropped the ceremonial first puck.

   Sunday was a lot of rah-rah in a season of ho-ho-ho in a building that has heard too little of either.

   "I looked up at all those people," said Liscak, "and it was like, whoa."

   Back on campus, Alfond Arena is smaller. On the road, the Whittemore Center at the University of New Hampshire is far noisier and hostile.

   Sunday was the Black Bears' annual trip to Maine's big city. With apologies to the Portland Pirates and Portland Sea Dogs, Sunday was the chance for this part of the state to embrace the team that is The Franchise.

   "They're a myth," said Steve Crane, the Civic Center manager and Maine booster. "People read so much about this team, hear so much about them, but they can't touch them. They can touch them today."

   There was touching the day before, too, when Maine's players and Coach Tim Whitehead stayed overtime to teach youngsters how to play. There was touching at the Maine Mall, where players went to be seen and sign autographs.

   Maine has been playing hockey since October, but for many in the crowd, Sunday's game was the first since the heartbreaking loss to Minnesota for college hockey's top prize last April 6.

   "Every year, Maine goes out and tries to win a national championship," said Crane. "People respond to that."

   They respond to quick goals, too. Colin Shields scored 45 seconds into the game, the large pep band played, the fans cheered and the place rocked. Somewhere in the crowd, Chris and Peter Ferraro had to be taking notes.

   They wear Portland Pirates uniforms now, although 10 years ago they were in Maine blue and white. Before Sunday's game they were spotted buying University of Maine apparel. Didn't they have enough?

   No, said Peter. "You always have to update your wardrobe."

   They hadn't seen a college hockey game in years, said Chris. This was fun.

   Yes, there were the inevitable comparisons between the Black Bears' bandwagon and the Portland Pirates' ox cart. Liscak and his teammates noticed all the empty seats at the Pirates game Saturday night and how quiet the place was.

   College and minor-league hockey are two different games with different priorities. The fact is, the state's fans bonded with the Black Bears years ago. Coach Shawn Walsh's suspension didn't break the bond. Neither did his death.

   Martin Kariya scored soon after Shields' goal and then it was Shields again. Maine led 3-0, and maybe it was time for the big crowd to take a bow.

   "I don't know," said Liscak. "The crowd was great, but whether it's one guy clapping or everybody, we don't listen. We play the game.

   "Look at what happened in Minnesota for that last game. Nineteen thousand fans and 18,000 of them were cheering for Minnesota. It didn't bother us."

   No, not when they're against you. But when they're with you . . .

   "It can put a little jump in your legs," said Shields. "Sure it can."

   The game seemed to fly. The lines at the concessions between periods were almost unbearably long because so few people wanted to leave their seats while the Black Bears played.

   "This was our chance to reach out and give back," said Shields. "No, this isn't Orono, but these are our fans."

   The kid from Scotland was being correct. He was also right.

   Staff Writer Steve Solloway can be contacted at 791-6412 or at: