ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Cathy Hart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Feb 1997 07:58:39 -0500
There will be a post game reception on Saturday after the BU game in the
Dexter Lounge.  There's good food, cameraderie, and you get to watch the
players try to think of something witty as they each speak!  (Of course,
Danny is never at a loss for words!)  This is free to FMH members, and costs
$2 for non members.  The final reception of the season will be after the
UMass Amherst game next weekend.

You might like to know that the Dexter Lounge is open to the public after
games all the time.  It's a great way to wait out the traffic and talk with
friends!

Don't forget Skate with the Bears on Sunday at 6pm, sponsored by Unicel.
 This free event is geared for children, but provides a fun way to show your
support!  The size of the crowd, even those who don't skate, has grown
significantly over the years.  Some people bring posters and banners, and
this season, we're going to try some skills competitions from kids randomly
selected in a lottery style using 50 50 tickets.  WWMJ will be doing a live
broadcast.  There are free cookies from Shop n Save and Shaws, and Coca Cola
has donated soda.  (as you can see, we have worked hard to include community
giving into this event, and they have responded very generously!  Rebuilding?
 HAH!)  The FMH just purchased a pin/button making machine and we will be
offering to make these from photos with your favorite player(s) at Skate for
$3, to cover costs.  There will also be an autograph session before the
actual Skate.

I realize some might say I'm blowing our (FMH) horn, but these events are
mandatory participation by our great players, and the size of the crowd,
especially at the Skate, helps them realize how much we value their hard work
and how proud we are to be associated with them.  Maybe I'm just a mush
heart, but the faces of the kids as they look up at these guys is worth every
ounce of effort we volunteers put into it.  Certain professor's children
might want to go elswhere, but every season there are many many young kids
who take these guys as role models and yes heroes.  That past events have
lent an edge of reality to their image has not detracted from their charisma.
 Please come out and support them!!

If anyone wants more info, please call me at 942-7468!

Cathy Hart