ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
"Beth A. Dixon" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Nov 2002 09:04:14 -0500
What a great weekend for UMaine hockey.  I was shocked by NU's level of
play on Friday night.  Since the arrival of Crowder at NU, the team has
become more and more of a contender in Hockey East, but after seeing
them play on Friday night, I'm not sure this will be one of their better
seasons.

I was far more nervous about the BU game, but even there it appeared
that BU just couldn't get their game together.  This weekend began to
remind me of the 1992-3 season where every shot on goal was quality.  BU
outshot Maine, but it was the quality of Maine's shooters that gave them
the win.  Defensively Maine played really well for the first two periods
both nights, but in the third they see themselves up by multiple goals
and play a much more laid back type of hockey and while that works
really well against a NU team that couldn't barely get the puck over
their blue line, you can't play that way against BU.  BU came out for
the third period ready to take that game back - and they almost did.  I
agree that the timeout was the best thing Whitehead could have done.
Maine turned off BU's momentum and really killed their hopes when they
scored on the 5 on 3.

All in all, it was a great weekend of hockey and I was really impressed
by the quality of passing this team is showing.  Maine has always had
one of the best (if not the best) skilled teams in the Hockey East and
they showed it off this weekend!

Beth

PS I'd like to thank BU for the lovely hockey puck we have now - its a
nice reminder of a perfect weekend!