ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
"Wayne T. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Oct 2000 09:13:12 EDT
Bob Fitta wrote, in part ..
>I have been disappointed in the lack of a discussion or explanation
>regarding the sudden ineligibility of Colin Shields.  ...

I found it interesting that reporters at USCHO and BDN haven't expanded
on the story, but have just parroted what sounds like a U Maine press
release.

"as a result of a standard eligibility check by the school's compliance
office" begs for an explanation.  Was this caught by computer or by
manually going over some record?  Was the NCAA "Clearing House"
involved?

"last year, Shields briefly took full-time course work at a junior
college".  What a strange rule.  A Junior college.  He didn't play for
the Junior College.  Briefly?!  Why did he signup?  Why did he quit?
Why does the NCAA penalize someone for going to school?

"It's tough to lose a kid of that caliber," said Maine interim head
coach Gene Reilly.  "But this is hockey you move on." The interim head
coach needs no instruction on how to answer a question without saying
anything!  :-)

cheers, wayne

Wayne T. Smith
[log in to unmask]                          Old Town Landing
The College Hockey lists, Hockey-L and Hockey3 at http://lists.Maine.edu/