ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
William Stewart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Dec 1999 19:19:49 -0400
So, tomorrow night is the first NHL encounter between Steve and Paul.
How interesting is this? Anyway, Here is an Associated Press article
that I'm sure will interest everyone. Enjoy
Kariya brothers face each other for first time

By JIM MORRIS
VANCOUVER, British Columbia (AP)   They ve battled in table tennis,
baseball, cribbage, checkers and in-line skating races on the hill near
their North Vancouver home.
But Wednesday in Anaheim, Calif., will be the first time Paul and Steve
Kariya face off against each other in any hockey game when the Mighty
Ducks face the Vancouver Canucks.
 The most difficult thing for me during the game will be not critiquing
his play while he s out there,  Ducks star Paul said in a conference
call Tuesday from Anaheim.
Steve, the Vancouver rookie who is four years younger than Paul, said
he doesn t see the game as a chance to measure his talents against his
older sibling.
 I ve never tried to play like Paul or be like Paul,  said Steve, 21,
who is tied for fourth among rookie scorers with 16 points, including
six goals.  I have to go out there and play my own game and be my own
person. I ve learned a lot from him and he s been nothing but a help
for my career.
Paul, 25, in his sixth NHL season and fourth as the Ducks captain,
phones home regularly for updates on his brother.
 I ve been extra proud of what he s done,  said Paul, who leads Anaheim
with 12 goals and is tied with teammate Teemu Selanne in team scoring
with 26 points.  It thrills me. It s one of the biggest thrills I ve
had.
The strong relationship that bonds the brothers is further forged by a
burning competitive instinct. The two can make a competition out of
anything, be it training, cards or checkers.
 He cheats a lot,  Paul said of Steve.
Fights are common.
 It usually ends up in a big neck-grab or a couple of punches to the
forearms or something,  Steve said.
But don t expect any fisticuffs on the ice.
 The likelihood of Steve and I lining up at centre ice and dropping the
gloves is slim,  Paul said.  But hopefully we ll bump into each other a
few times.
The brothers have followed different paths to the NHL after attending
the University of Maine.
Paul, 5-foot-11 and 180 pounds, was Anaheim s first choice, fourth
overall, in the 1993 draft. He also was a member of the Canadian team
that won a silver at the 1994 Winter Olympics.
Steve, who is only 5-foot-7 and 170 pounds, was overlooked in the draft
and was signed as a free agent by the Canucks.
Another Kariya brother, Martin, is currently playing at Maine.
For years, hockey separated the brothers as they played in different
leagues across the continent from each other. Now the game has brought
them together again.
 Our relationship has grown over the past two or three years,  Paul
said of Steve.  I moved away from home when I was 15 and didn t get to
see a lot of him growing up or playing in minor hockey. We ve become
closer now that we ve been training in the summertime.
But that hasn t stopped the game of sibling rivalry.
 We re going out for dinner tonight,  Paul said.  Steve is going to
pay.