ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
D B Doucette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Dec 1999 16:56:02 -0500
Oh, my, Brian is reporting very bad news...

Look elsewhere in hockey discussions about the growing
trend of bad manners at games.

I feel these "wrestling" shows give a sense of legitimacy
to, encourage and promote the type of behavior shown by those in
attendance.  Watch one night and see.

By implying the exhibition is a "sport", and not discouraging
this crude behavior, it inevitably leads to the same behavior at REAL
sports venues.

Look what Coke did, by pulling their ads off these trash shows.

What's next at our dear University...the start of a "s**k" cheer, like
at Merrimack and elsewhere ?  That it isn't in use yet (or is it ?) is
a tribute to the class of at the Alfond, students included.   If we get it,
then, sir, I will hold you partly to blame.

Now, I go back to the days of Chief Jay Strongbow, the Grand Wizard
of Wrestling, Killer Kowalski and the like, and fan behavior was never
like it is on those prime-time shows today.  And, yes, I was loud at the
Alfond in my day (Game 1 and later), but profanity never was used.
Blasphemy, maybe, but not profanity.  And, yes, I think "s**k" is
profanity.

I'm not advocating you not talk about it, but not in the same program as
real sports.  Give "wrestling" its own show, or lump it in with political
discussions on the Reform Party...

Also, I shortly will be leaving for Matthews Arena and will bring my little
notebook to assist in preparing my first direct report of the year for our
list.
Look forward to seeing Maine fans in great numbers tonite.

I wrote:

>>Haven't you heard, professional wrestling is FIXED.  Belongs more with
>>radio
>>discussions your station may carry on rock concerts than being compared
>>with real sports, especially any discussion of Maine hockey.

Brian responded:

>Everyone knows it's fixed, but a lot of our listeners enjoy talking
>about it (as do the hosts).  So far this year we've had more people
>call in to talk about professional wrestling than we have had call in
>to talk Maine Hockey...

Dan Doucette

Maine - National Champions 1993 and 1999 -
first in the new Millennium ?

Bill Gates should be sentenced to using a Macintosh
for the rest of his natural life.