From:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Jul 1995 16:12:34 EDT
Forwarded from [log in to unmask]

Frankly, I'm surprised to see Bill Beaney's name as a finalist -- not for
lack of talent, or for lack of success, but because Midd is in the process of
constructing a new, first-class arena (very similar to Dartmouth's) and I
think is entertaining thoughts/hopes of *moving up* to Div I, which, for a
school of Midd's academic standing and physical location, should mean a berth
in the ECAC.  On the other hand, as of March this year, no such proceedings
had been initiated, and in fact it presents some problems in the ECAC
matchings and *buddy system* for road games.  I'd like to see it come to
pass, though; some new blood in the ECAC would not be amiss.  What say you,
readers?

Parenthetically, let me add that the *Big Time* is not necessarily so
desirable. The top echelon of Div III, of which Midd is definitely one, would
give most of the Ivies and a good number of the ECAC a run for their money
NOW, imho; two years ago Midd had a pre- season scrimmage with Princeton
after just a week's practice and only lost 5-3.  THIS year Holy Cross and
Colby made good showings -- BEAT some D-I schools -- so it isn't just the
Panthers' program that's *up there*.  Anyone who saw the D-III finals this
past spring more than got their money's worth of good college hockey.  I will
concede, before you all start biting my head off, that there is no comparison
to HEA, CCHA or WCHA, O.K.?  But that's comparing apples and oranges from the
get-go.  And, should Midd successfully lobby for an ECAC spot, it would cast
a whole different light on their recruiting effort. Gives us something to
gnaw on, doesn't it -- and I think I wandered a bit as I got into this essay!
 Take your best shots!