Sender:
Date:
Tue, 11 Nov 1997 10:22:42 -0700
>      U.S. College Hockey Online Poll
>Minneapolis, Minnesota (November 10, 1997)
>
>   Team (First Place Votes)   Record  Pts   Last
> 1 North Dakota (19)           2-1-1  287     1
> 2 Boston University (10)      4-0-0  268     3
> 3 Michigan State (1)          5-1-2  225     4
> 4 Colorado College            3-1-2  209     2
> 5 Miami                       6-1-0  117     7
> 6 Maine                       4-2-1  105     6
> 7 Cornell                     3-0-0   93    10
> 7 New Hampshire               5-2-0   93     5
> 9 Boston College              5-1-0   82     -
>10 Michigan                    5-3-0   55     8

"This is when Cameron goes Berserk."

Of the top teams, only BU and Cornell remain undefeated. Yet the pollsters
in their infinite wisdom still vote North Dakota as the #1 team, with a
record of 2-1-1?? This after the Terriers smear #6 Maine -- playing at
Alfond, mind you -- by a score of SIX to NOTHING ??????

Speaking of which, Maine somehow manages to remain at #6 in the poll,
winning only 4 of its 7 games so far.

I understand the view that North Dakota has played a "tough" schedule --
but they've only faced two teams (CC & Minnesota), one of whom is now
"receiving votes."

Which leads me to Colorado College. Previously ranked SECOND, the Tigers
lose and tie against the "best" team in the country -- both very close,
tight games by all accounts -- and drops to be number 4, losing all four of
its previous first place votes.

And Cornell -- nothing personal to the ECAC folks out there -- has played
less than substantial foes (Harvard, Brown, Northeastern) and yet is
vaulted ahead of New Hampshire, who last week received 4 first place votes!
Granted, the Wildcats lost twice (home and away) to BC... so why the heck
is Boston College, a team at 5-1-0 who just defeated a "first place team"
(in some pollsters minds) ranked BELOW them?

And perhaps the silliest poll move of all... Miami LOSES to Ohio State, yet
moves UP two spots in the poll. They managed to lose their 2 first place
votes, but hey, they're a top 5 program now.

I know, I know. It's only a poll, Greenie. This is what coaches, media, and
 mysterious others <g> felt while they were on the phone. But does it
really have to be so bloody inconsistent? Would it make sense to have more
than 30 pollsters involved -- perhaps poll *all* of the coaches and more
"beat writers"? Or should there be less?

And a question for those of you knowledgeable about these pesky things --
are the "five coaches from each conference" that are polled the same five
every week, are they chosen randomly, are they rotated like crops -- what's
the deal?

Aw heck, I give up. Can we just fast-forward to the Fleet Center already?

Oh wait... I guess we can't do that, since the committee makes its
tournament selections and seedings based on similar criteria as the polls.
Just imagine, if the seeding started today, BC would be sent out west as a
reward for clobbering UNH. Just a thought. :-)

Okay, done venting.

greenie
S P O O N  ! !
(go BU)