ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Nov 2002 20:19:24 -0500
I have to agree with Lindsay that you cannot beat UNH by enough goals (read:
2002 NCAA Semifinals).

Here's my story:

Growing up during the late eighties and early 90s BU was clearly the chief
rival to Maine, most hated and everything.  The water bottle incident has
already been mentioned, not to mention all the NCAA sanctions that it is
*rumored* Jack Parker was involved in this, which only added fuel to an
already raging fire.  Let us not forget about the rivarly between Parker and
Coach Walsh either.  I was there and I was into it.  Hated BU like everyone
else.

But Maine served their penalty, Walsh served a suspension, Maine hockey came
back strong and the BU faithful (their fans, etc.) eventually got over
things.  Let's also not forget BC was down during some of these years with
their whole Mike Milbury/schoarship issues too, so competively Maine was the
rival of BU too, despite their hatred for BC.

But the UNH faithful never let up on Walsh and Maine.  They've had a hockey
program for a long time, but had never achieved the same success Maine had
in a significant shorter period of time.  Even when everyone else in the
college hockey world had moved on, the UNH faithful lagged behind.

The rivarly was cemented in Anaheim in 1999 when Maine (and Walsh) with only
16 scholarships (that's two less than UNH) out coached and beat the Wildcats
for the national title.  Again, many of the UNH faithful still could not do
anything but show contempt and disrespect for the Maine program.  They never
expected to lose that game because they never respected their opponent.

Now, I agree that our opinions are colored by the circles we run in and
people we deal with.  If you only know the "good" UNH fans (which there are
many of I am sure) then you will not be as fired up about beating them.  I
for one would rather lose to any other college hockey team in the world
before I'd want to lose to UNH, especially in the NCAA Tournament.  When UNH
plays BU for any reason, I am all about the scarlet and white.

-dt