ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
"Wayne T. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Mar 2002 15:48:19 EST
A few semi-random thoughts ...

(1) Students have "free" admission to the Alfond games by showing
    MaineCard (as usual).  Come early (doors open at 6pm each night).
    If Maine advances to the Fleetcenter, "free" admission does not
    apply.

(2) Remember our discussions of "bad penalties" earlier this season?
    You might find it interesting to know that if Maine had had an
    "average" amount of penalties last weekend vs BU, Maine would have
    had fewest penalty minutes in all of HEA!  Maine ended with 347
    penalty minutes;  UMA ended with 282;  Maine had 91 minutes last
    weekend.

(3) One of BCs (and HEAs) best defensemen, J.D.  Forrest suffered a
    forearm/wrist cut last weekend and is out for the season.  I hope he
    completely recovers, as he's a wonderful player.  Another BC
    defenseman (John Adams) went down with an apparent head or neck
    injury last weekend.  I don't know if he'll play.

(4) BC 15-0-1 when leading going into the 3rd period and 2-13-1 when
    trailing going into the 3rd period.  Play hard early, Maine boys!

(5) BC was 8-3-1 outside of HEA this season and only 10-13-1 in
    conference.  last weekend they lost to what may be HEA's best team
    in UNH 2-1 and 5-2(eng).

    Maine is 6-4-2 outside of HEA and 14-5-5 in HEA games.

(6) BC doesn't necessarily take a lot of shots.  A couple of weeks ago,
    they scored 7 goals on NU with only 19 shots on goal.

(7) Although BC has several players that can score, their scoring talent
    is in Tony Voce and Ben Eaves.  BC senior leadership is very good
    with Giuliano and Dolinar.

(8) BC has never played Maine in an HEA Quarterfinal.

(9) BC and Maine are 1-1-1 this season, with Maine losing at BC on
    February 8th, 4-3.

(10) FSNE will televise the NU@UML game Thursday night.  (WABI-TV,
    Bangor, has High School basketball that night).

    FSNE has Celtics basketball Friday night (WABI has HS basketball).

    Saturday night, FSNE has announced an HEA game, it being either
    BC@ME, NU@UML, MC@UNH, or [log in to unmask]  (WABI has more squeak-ball).

    Sunday night FSNE will televise either MC@UNH or [log in to unmask]

(11) I like that many college hockey games are available on the
    internet, and many are available for rebroadcast at your convenience
    (WZON does only live streaming).  For example, you might go to Yahoo
    and listen to the last ME@BU game.  Quite a different perspective,
    but there's lots to learn from hearing others describe a familiar
    game.  I recently did just that.  During the 1st period I hated
    those BU announcers and couldn't concentrate on the game, but as it
    went on, I got quite an appreciation for their call.  (I know Dan
    and Blair, and they're no Dan and Blair, however!) ;-)

    My favorite quote from that broadcast (on Maine's Niko Dimitrakos):

          "You can't let him shoot from the parking lot!"

(12) This space for rent.

cheers, wayne

Wayne T. Smith
[log in to unmask]                          Old Town Landing
The College Hockey lists: Hockey-L and Hockey3 at http://lists.Maine.edu/