ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
"Beth A. Dixon" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Jan 2001 11:40:12 -0500
I agree that the National Anthem should be played or sung properly.
Sadly in the music industry today, there are a more actors than
professional singers.   How many people who sing the National Anthem do
it for love of their country.  How many actually feel the words (see the
bombs bursting in air) rather than just signing what is on a sheet of
paper and then use personal liberties to "tweak" a song that is already
perfect?  They are their to show off their talents, not sing for love of
country.

I've got to say that the best way to solve this is to have the UMaine
Pep Band perform it at home games.  Because they are a group, they have
to play it straight, as written on the page, with no extras.  I happen
to be a pep band alumni and I have to say that it was always quite a
honor to play the National Anthem and that we never considered playing
anything more than is written on the page.  Too bad vocalists can't do
the same.

Beth A. Dixon